JAPAN: Aeon Co. plans import venture
Japan's biggest retailer Aeon Co plans to set up a venture with alcohol retailing affiliate Yamaya Corp. to import alcoholic drinks.
Aeon and Yamaya, business partners since 1994, said they aimed to expand their stable of imported brands, particularly in wine, as well as developing own-brand products and cutting purchasing and distribution costs.
Aeon said sales of alcoholic beverages in Japan were expected to rise 7% annually through 2008. As part of the agreement, Aeon will raise its stake in Yamaya to 16% from 10%, the companies said.
In the year to 20 February, 2005, Aeon recorded revenues of JPY4.2 trillion (US$36.1bn), a rise of over 18% on the previous year. The company became the first retailer in Japan to achieve sales in excess of JPY4 trillion (US$36bn).
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts