US: Advocacy groups challenge NBA hard liquor advertising decision
A group of public health organisations in the US have challenged the National Basketball Association over its recent decision to allow spirits advertising and alcohol promotions for affiliated basketball teams.
The organisations, led by not-for-profit health advocacy group the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), said yesterday (9 February) that the increased presence of alcohol advertising at NBA basketball games "would promote drinking liquor to thousands of underaged fans and link professional basketball to drinking liquor".
"The NBA congratulates itself on its youth-outreach and community programmes, yet it is poised to increase its profits by exposing young fans to more ads for rum, whiskey, vodka, and of course, beer," said Tracy Downs, manager of CSPI's Campaign for Alcohol-Free Sports TV.
The groups have collectively written to NBA commissioner David Stern to voice their concerns.
Price rises on drinks are not the solution to preventing excess drinking by teenagers and young people in the UK, argues just-drinks' student journalist Becky Pile....
Sweden assumed the Presidency of the EU at the beginning of this month. With the country's history of control and high taxation of alcohol, the industry is expecting a tough six months. However, Ben C...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Kirin Holdings has raised its full-year net earnings guidance by 5%, despite an 82% slide in profits in the first half of 2009....
The US arm of Bacardi has released Seven Tiki, a spiced rum, in two states of the US....
Central European Distribution Corporation (CEDC) has warned that vodka volumes in its key market of Russia are not expected to pick up until the final quarter of this year....
An advert that appeared in a circular for an alcohol delivery service has been banned by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) today (5 August) following a complaint that it was "offensive"....
Pernod Ricard has announced its newest global advertising campaign for Malibu, Radio Maliboom Boom, as part of its ongoing "Get Your Island On" promotion....
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research