RUSSIA: AD sued over Stolichnaya
Russia has launched a lawsuit against Allied Domecq over Stolichnaya in the US. Soyuzplodoimport, the state-run Russian company which claims the rights to the vodka brand name, filed a claim against the drinks company in Manhattan federal court last week.
Soyuzplodimport claims that AD broke the law when it signed a distribution deal with fugitive vodka tycoon Yuri Shefler in 2001. The company claims that Shefler's SPI Spirits Group held the rights to Stolichnaya illegally.
Chris Swonger, a senior vice president at AD's Washington office, said his company's deal with Shefler's spirits group was "incontestable" and "ironclad."
"Allied Domecq will vigorously defend its rights," Swonger said.
Lawyers for Soyuzplodoimport, an arm of the Agriculture Ministry, allege that Shefler forged and destroyed documents to buy Stolichnaya and other popular Soviet era brands at a fraction of their market value in a murky insider deal in the mid 1990s.
"US sales of vodka using the misappropriated marks now exceed $600m annually," said Steven Madison, a lawyer with US law firm Quinn Emanuel Urquhart Oliver & Hedges, which is representing Soyuzplodoimport.
SPI Group has said that Stolichnaya is the world's best-selling vodka, with US$500m in consumer retail sales in export markets.
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Fideuram Wargny has upgraded its rating of Pernod Ricard to 'buy' from 'hold'. Its analysts argue that the merger talks with Allied Domecq is a catalyst for share growth....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends