US: Acquisitive Patrón to move into vodka, gin
The Patrón Spirits Company, best known for its namesake premium Tequila, looks set to move into the wider white spirits category with the acquisition of a vodka and a gin brand.
The independent US-based company is hoping to snap up the vodka in the coming weeks. "We are in acquisition mode and we are eyeing a gin and a vodka," Patrón COO John McDonnell told just-drinks today (21 November), although he declined to name the targets. He added that he hoped to secure the vodka acquisition by 1 January.
Patrón, set up in Las Vegas in 1989, dominates the booming super-premium Tequila category in the US, where it sells 1m cases, or around 70% of the segment. Patrón's strength among luxury Tequilas has led it to command around 4% of the total Tequila market in the US.
The company is looking to boost its presence worldwide and has secured distribution in 40 markets. McDonnell said the company had last week struck a distribution deal with Brown-Forman for the Taiwanese market.
"Taiwan is the most fickle market on the entire planet, that's why some multinational brands that succeeded there previously have since declined significantly. In 1996/97, for example, over 1m cases of Japanese whisky were sold in Taiwan - now that's down to fewer than 50,000 cases. Also, younger generations do not want to drink what their parents drank."
Taiwanese demand for white spirits, however, is growing, according to McDonnell. "Taiwan will be a Tequila market, there is no other ultra-premium Tequila in the market and Patrón is positioned perfectly for the place."
McDonnell called Brown-Forman the "ideal partner" for the Taiwanese market. He added: "They've done a brilliant job with Jack Daniel's in that market and they have an ultra-premium Bourbon - Woodford Reserve - which means Patrón will fit nicely into their portfolio."
Riding the twin waves of a booming premium spirits market and growth in Tequila, The Patrón Spirits Company has made great strides in a short space of time. In this month's Just the Answer interview, ...
Blended Scotch whisky producers are banking on emerging markets to provide the growth to offset flat or declining sales elsewhere but a new report from just-drinks suggests this cannot be expected as ...
Eckes AG has sold Stock Plzen in Czech, according to reports....
Brown-Forman has called time on its Tequila joint venture with the Orendain family....
Polmos Lublin has posted a very strong start to 2007....
Diageo has added an eleventh flavour variant to its Smirnoff vodka brand in the US....
India's UB Group has finally succeeded in snapping up Whyte & Mackay....
A survey in Sweden has found that the majority of people would be interested in buying shares in V&S Group....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research