Accolade Wines gives Anakena tennis backing in UK
Accolade Wines bought the Anakena wine brand earlier this year
Accolade Wines has launched its recently-purchased Anakena brand from Chile in the UK, having agreed a marketing tie-up with the Lawn Tennis Association.
The company, which added Anakena to its roster in September, said earlier today that the Chilean brand has secured 'Official Wine of British Tennis and the Lawn Tennis Association' status through the sponsorship deal. Accolade will invest GBP500,000 (US$750,000) in Anakena in the UK over the next 12 months.
CEO Paul Schaafsma said: "We firmly believe that ... we can now take the brand to the next level in terms of its global presence and distribution."
UK & Ireland marketing director Amy White added: "The Chilean wine category is a highly competitive one with popular brands already established. In developing the right proposition for Anakena in the UK, we spent a lot of time engaging consumers to best understand what they are looking for in this sector of the market.
"It became apparent … that brands with heritage, provenance and a true story to tell were the factors considered most important."
Accolade also has associations with cricket, through its Hardys Australian brand, which is the official wine of both the English Cricket Board and Cricket Australia.
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits