AUS: ACCC approves Asahi's P&N Beverages buy
Asahi agreed to sell P&N's CSD and cordial businesses to Tru Blu Beverages
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has said it will not oppose Asahi Group's fresh bid to acquire P&N Beverages.
Last month, Asahi entered into a fresh agreement to purchase P&N Beverages, in a JPY16.3bn (US$202m) deal that was revised to satisfy Australia's competition watchdog.
The ACCC had earlier raised concerns that the acquisition would remove P&N as "a vigorous and effective competitor" in carbonated soft drinks and cordial.
As a result, Asahi agreed to sell P&N's CSD and cordial businesses to Tru Blu Beverages (TBB), which will result in Asahi acquiring only the water and juice businesses of P&N.
The ACCC's chairman, Rod Sims, said today (12 August): "Taking into account the divestiture and that it will occur simultaneously with the acquisition of P&N, the ACCC is satisfied that the proposed acquisition is unlikely to substantially lessen competition."
As part of the deal, Asahi must divest all manufacturing facilities, production equipment, brands, personnel, intellectual property rights and other assets related to P&N's cordial and CSD business. Asahi must also transfer certain production lines from its existing Schweppes subsidiary to TBB, as well as provide interim contract packing services to TBB.
The ACCC said that TBB needs to be "an ongoing viable and effective independent competitor" in the CSD and cordial markets.
Asahi expects to complete the P&N deal in September.
In the second part of just-drinks' review of 2011, Michelle Russell looks at how the soft drinks category has fared in the last 12 months....
SABMiller's Chinese joint-venture, CR Snow Breweries, could get a second chance to dig its claws into Kingway Brewery and mount a stronger challenge to Tsingtao in the country's Guangdong province....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research