SWEDEN: Absolut well-placed to brave credit crunch - V&S
The head of Vin & Sprit's spirits division has said that the current global economic uncertainty should not affect the unit in 2008.
Speaking to just-drinks today (31 January), Ketil Eriksen said that Vin & Sprit Absolut is well-placed to weather the turbulence affecting stock markets around the world.
"Historically, over the last 10-15 years we have not been impacted by these swings," Eriksen said. "Clearly, consumer spend will be impacted and most likely also the spirits category will be impacted to some extent.
"However, the premium end of vodka, we believe, won't be impacted too much. But that depends on how bad it's going to get. It's difficult to predict how serious this will be. We're watching it carefully, but historically we've done well during these kinds of periods."
Eriksen warned that, while the higher-priced spirits categories will not be affected, producers selling lower-priced alcohol are more likely to feel the pinch. "I think it's more lower-priced categories that are more sensitive to these swings," he said.
Earlier today, V&S Absolut posted a record year for its Absolut vodka brand. The division saw total sales in 2007 rise by 3% over 2006, with Absolut breaking the 5m nine-litre case barrier in the US for the first time.
When asked about the pending sale of V&S by the Swedish government, Eriksen said he was very happy that a time frame for the transaction is now in place.
"Hopefully this will be completed in the first half," he said. "We look forward to getting through the process because there is a risk that it takes attention from the business, specifically from a management point of view."
"I would prefer an owner that shares our optimistic outlook we have for the business," Eriksen added. "We are bullish about the future prospects for our business and we'd love to have an owner that shares that view."
Beam Global Spirits & Wine was the frontrunner to land Absolut vodka but was pipped at the post by Pernod Ricard. However, president and CEO Tom Flocco says the company has quickly put that disappoint...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Castle Brands has secured 'going concern' status, as it continues its hunt for transactions to secure its future....
Pernod Ricard has hinted it may sell off more spirits brands following its successful takeover of Absolut vodka owner Vin & Sprit....
Pernod Ricard has announced it has completed its €5.69bn acquisition of Absolut vodka owner Vin & Sprit, after receiving the green light from EU competition authorities....
The Absolut Spirits Company has launched a limited edition, "city-inspired" Absolut Vodka flavour....
Russian Standard Vodka has launched its Standard Original brand in Taiwan....
French wine and spirit company Belvédère has been placed in judicial protection and is now exempt from debt repayment for six to 12 months....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review