UK: Absolut pulled from Seagram deal
Swedish drinks monopoly Vin & Sprit is believed to be pulling the lucrative distribution rights for Absolut Vodka out of the Seagram portfolio for the upcoming race for the Canadian drinks company.The result of the decision will be to wipe billions of dollars off the value of Seagram's drinks arm. V&S it is believed wants to sell its distribution rights off in a piecemeal fashion geographically.One analyst said that the loss of Absolut could see Seagram's value fall from $8.4 billion to around $6 billion.Recent rumours that V&S and Allied Domecq would submit a joint bid are now considered unfounded. It is seen unlikely that V&S, as a government body, would want the secondary and tertiary brands that Allied Domecq spun off. The deal for the Absolut rights are now expected to be negotiated after Seagram has been sold.The removal of Absolut might be to Allied's favour anyway. The smaller bidding price will be in Allied's favour, who are financially weaker than nearest rivals Diageo, but who can deliver far greater cost savings than anyone else on the deal.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends