SWEDEN: Absolut opens new distillery
V&S Absolut Spirits has opened a new distillery in Nöbbelöv, just outside Åhus. The move is the result of a decision taken in 1999 by the board of directors of V&S Group to invest SKK320m to meet increased demand.
In 1999, the year V&S Group made the investment decision, 60m litres of Absolut Vodka were sold. Last year, sales of Absolut rose by 5% to 76.1m litres, the company said.
It added that the first quarter of 2005 is pointing in the same direction. Sales for V&S Absolut Spirits, which includes Absolut and Level Vodka, rose 8% in the first three months this year.
"We're increasing capacity to meet the increased demand from around the world for Absolut," said Ketil Eriksen, president for the V&S Absolut Spirits business area. "With the new distillery in Nöbbelöv we're increasing our capacity from today's level of 87.5m litres to 125m litres of vodka a year. Because of this, our needs are also increasing for winter wheat from the local farmers in Skåne, the southern province of Sweden."
When the new plant is fully operational V&S Absolut Spirits capacity will also increase from 100m bottles a year today to 143m. The final production will continue to take place in Åhus.
Combining genuine brand chic with selling millions of cases is to dream the impossible dream for most spirits executives, but for Bengt Baron, president and CEO of Absolut owners V&S Group, it is a re...
Having been something of a European institution for years, the end of duty-free, the lowering of some Nordic duty rates and cheaper prices in domestic supermarkets have combined to reduce the allure o...
Diageo's spiced rum brand, Captain Morgan, has made strong gains in the US spirits market but, as David Robertson reports, it has so far been unable to replicate this success in other markets....
Flavoured vodkas have been a major success story in the US where they have prospered on the back of strong sector growth and premiumisation. With European markets also showing consistent growth and so...
V&S Group is once again set to add to its Absolut vodka stable with the launch of the grapefruit-flavoured Absolut Ruby Red....
The Absolut Spirits Company has completed its acquisition of Cruzan International....
Cruzan International has received shareholder support for its pending merger with The Absolut Spirits Company....
A shareholders meeting to decide whether Cruzan International should approve a merger deal with majority stakeholder Absolut Spirits has been called by the company's board of directors....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets