SWEDEN: Absolut breaks 1 billion barrier
Absolut has shipped its 1 billionth bottle of vodka. The Swedish vodka distiller announced that the bottled, which has a golden cap, left its plant in Ahus, southern Sweden, last week.
In a statement, vice president of manufacturing at V&S Absolut Spirits Krister Asplund said: "Since the first bottle was shipped to the US in 1979, a billion bottles have left the plant. That's an incredible figure. If you put all those bottles in a line, they would circle the earth - two times."
Last year, global shipments of Absolut increased by 7.7%, reaching 72.5m litres. According to the list of the world's largest spirits brands published by the American market analysis company and trade publication Impact, Absolut has strengthened its position as the world's third-largest international spirits brands and put more distance between itself and fourth place.
V&S Absolut Spirits, a business area within V&S Group, is the brand owner and producer of Absolut Vodka, Absolut Peppar, Absolut Citron, Absolut Kurant, Absolut Mandrin and Absolut Vanilia.
Combining genuine brand chic with selling millions of cases is to dream the impossible dream for most spirits executives, but for Bengt Baron, president and CEO of Absolut owners V&S Group, it is a re...
Having been something of a European institution for years, the end of duty-free, the lowering of some Nordic duty rates and cheaper prices in domestic supermarkets have combined to reduce the allure o...
Diageo's spiced rum brand, Captain Morgan, has made strong gains in the US spirits market but, as David Robertson reports, it has so far been unable to replicate this success in other markets....
Flavoured vodkas have been a major success story in the US where they have prospered on the back of strong sector growth and premiumisation. With European markets also showing consistent growth and so...
The Absolut Spirits Company has completed its acquisition of Cruzan International....
Cruzan International has received shareholder support for its pending merger with The Absolut Spirits Company....
A shareholders meeting to decide whether Cruzan International should approve a merger deal with majority stakeholder Absolut Spirits has been called by the company's board of directors....
V&S Absolut Spirits saw sales of its flagship vodka Absolut rise 9% last year on the back of surging sales outside the US....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018