US: AB price strategy queried by analyst
Bear Stearns has downgraded its rating for Anheuser-Busch and questioned the brewer's price-cutting policy. The analyst shifted its recommendation on the company to 'underperform' from 'peer perform' yesterday (21 July) and said that it is "highly sceptical of the company's aggressive price discount strategy."
Following a tour of beer markets in Texas and Florida, Bear Stearn's Carlos Laboy said: "We are not convinced that AB's initiatives will provide adequate revenue lift, support EPS expectations, or correct the domestic beer category's image problems.
"We are unconvinced that undercutting AB's long-held price advantage over Miller is working or is in any domestic brewer's long-term interest," Laboy added.
Bear Stearns has also lowered its earnings forecast for the brewer for Q2 to 81 cents per share from 82 cents, its fiscal 2005 forecast to US$2.73 from US$2.75 and its 2006 forecast to US$2.84 from US$2.90.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Anheuser-Busch has reiterated its 2005 earnings per share outlook....
Anheuser-Busch is the latest US drinks company to be hit by industrial action....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch said today that it had seen its earnings per share fall 3% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same period last year as it was hit by difficult trading condi...
Patrick Stokes, president and chief executive officer of Anheuser-Busch Companies, has said that the company's board of directors has declared a regular quarterly dividend....
Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the holding company of billionaire Warren Buffett, has acquired a significant stake in Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
Anheuser-Busch has increased its economic interest in China's Tsingtao to 27% upon its conversion of all the remaining convertible bonds in Tsingtao....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends