AUSTRALIA: A little tipple means a longer life
The finding, from a 10-year study of elderly people living in rural America, has also delivered a finding that adds weight to the results of other studies showing that moderate alcohol consumption reduces the risk of dementia.
The study, reported in the latest edition of the Medical Journal of Australia, found that men aged 60-74 years who drank moderate quantities of alcohol lived an average of 7.6 months longer than non-alcohol drinking males. For women, the figure was 2.7 months.
The study, led by University of New South Wales' Associate Professor Leon Simons, reported that consumption of more than 14 drinks a week among the 1,235 men and 1,570 women was uncommon.
If found that dementia rates for drinkers and non-drinkers were 2.5/100 and 4.3/100, respectively, and suggested that the "21st century may witness a completely new role for alcohol in health."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts