AUSTRALIA: A little tipple means a longer life
The finding, from a 10-year study of elderly people living in rural America, has also delivered a finding that adds weight to the results of other studies showing that moderate alcohol consumption reduces the risk of dementia.
The study, reported in the latest edition of the Medical Journal of Australia, found that men aged 60-74 years who drank moderate quantities of alcohol lived an average of 7.6 months longer than non-alcohol drinking males. For women, the figure was 2.7 months.
The study, led by University of New South Wales' Associate Professor Leon Simons, reported that consumption of more than 14 drinks a week among the 1,235 men and 1,570 women was uncommon.
If found that dementia rates for drinkers and non-drinkers were 2.5/100 and 4.3/100, respectively, and suggested that the "21st century may witness a completely new role for alcohol in health."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets