AUSTRALIA: A little tipple means a longer life
Moderate consumption of alcohol by elderly people has been found to increase longevity.The finding, from a 10-year study of elderly people living in rural America, has also delivered a finding that adds weight to the results of other studies showing that moderate alcohol consumption reduces the risk of dementia.The study, reported in the latest edition of the Medical Journal of Australia, found that men aged 60-74 years who drank moderate quantities of alcohol lived an average of 7.6 months longer than non-alcohol drinking males. For women, the figure was 2.7 months.The study, led by University of New South Wales' Associate Professor Leon Simons, reported that consumption of more than 14 drinks a week among the 1,235 men and 1,570 women was uncommon.If found that dementia rates for drinkers and non-drinkers were 2.5/100 and 4.3/100, respectively, and suggested that the "21st century may witness a completely new role for alcohol in health."Chris Snow
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018