AUSTRALIA: A little tipple means a longer life
Moderate consumption of alcohol by elderly people has been found to increase longevity.The finding, from a 10-year study of elderly people living in rural America, has also delivered a finding that adds weight to the results of other studies showing that moderate alcohol consumption reduces the risk of dementia.The study, reported in the latest edition of the Medical Journal of Australia, found that men aged 60-74 years who drank moderate quantities of alcohol lived an average of 7.6 months longer than non-alcohol drinking males. For women, the figure was 2.7 months.The study, led by University of New South Wales' Associate Professor Leon Simons, reported that consumption of more than 14 drinks a week among the 1,235 men and 1,570 women was uncommon.If found that dementia rates for drinkers and non-drinkers were 2.5/100 and 4.3/100, respectively, and suggested that the "21st century may witness a completely new role for alcohol in health."Chris Snow
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends