AUSTRALIA: A bottle of VB goes a long way-23,000km to be exact!
After nearly 16-months, a stubby of Australia's top selling beer, VB (Victoria Bitter), has completed a sea current-powered voyage of more than 23,000km from a beach at Geelong, near Melbourne, to another beach, at Gwynedd in Wales.The 375ml stubby, containing a letter identifying the three girls who sent it, was dropped into the sea on March 6 last year.It was found at Rhosneigr Beach, in Angelsey, on June 29 by Ray Goodwin, of Oldham, Lancashire, who sent the girls a postcard saying he'd found it.Dr Graham Symonds, oceanographer at the Australian Defence Force Academy's School of Geography and Oceanography, said the stubby probably drifted into the east-flowing Antarctic circumpolar current south of Australia and then was carried past Cape Horn, then north through the Atlantic Oceans to the Irish Sea."It would have had an average speed of 0.5 metres a second, which is possible in major ocean current systems," he said.The stubby came from a carton shared by appropriately named Rod Beer, father of one of the girls, Alexa, and his friend Simon Brearley, father of the other girls, Amanda and Claire.The families were staying at a caravan park and when Mr Goodwin replied he said he had found the bottle while holidaying at his caravan.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018