SWEDEN: A-B triumphs in Bud battle
Anheuser-Busch has claimed victory on its ongoing Budweiser trademark battle in Sweden.
The US brewing giant said yesterday (16 May) that Sweden's Supreme Court had thrown out an appeal from Czech rival Budejovicky Budvar. The ruling, which ends a seven-year dispute in the Scandinavian country, means A-B holds onto its exclusive rights to the Budweiser name in Sweden.
"The final outcome in Sweden is significant because it recognises Anheuser-Busch as the rightful owner of the Budweiser name, one we first registered 17 years before Budejovicky Budvar was founded, said Steve Burrows, president and CEO of Anheuser-Busch International.
Sweden had found in A-B's favour last year when, guided by a 2005 World Trade Organization panel's decision, ruled that geographic indications protected in Europe cannot be used in translation if they interfere with prior or existing trademarks.
The court ordered Budejovicky Budvar to stop using "Budweiser Budvar" on its labels, packaging and advertising, a decision that had led to the Czech brewer's appeal.
Major brewing groups are clamouring to get into India, which, by dint of its young population, expanding economy and rising personal disposable income offers huge growth potential. International group...
Having once produced earnings and revenue growth as regularly as clockwork, US brewing giant Anheuser-Busch stuttered last year. But there are signs that the brewer is quickly regaining its touch, wri...
Czech brewery Budejovicky Budvar has announced that the patent office in Portugal has registered its Budweiser Budvar trademark, in spite of objections from US beer giant Anheuser-Busch, which is enga...
Anheuser-Busch has said it hopes to capitalise on the trend for low-carb products in Australia with the launch of Michelob Ultra....
Anheuser-Busch is repeating its offering of limited edition beers for the festive season....
Mexican brewer Grupo Modelo has posted a healthy rise in third-quarter sales and profits....
Anheuser-Busch has posted a 26% jump in third-quarter profits thanks largely to growing international sales....
German brewer Bitburger has lost its appeal against an EU court ruling allowing Anheuser-Busch to register its Bud, American Bud and Anheuser-Busch Bud brands....
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly