COLOMBIA/US: A-B signs Bud Light import deal
Bud Light is following Budweiser into Colombia after Anheuser-Busch announced an import deal for the South American market.
The US brewing giant has struck an agreement with Exito, Colombia's largest grocery chain, to sell Bud Light.
A-B said it had decided to launch Bud Light in Colombia following the "successful introduction" of Budweiser into the market a year ago.
"More Colombians are beginning to select food and beverages to better fit their active lifestyles," said Esteban Amoia, regional marketing manager, South America, for Anheuser-Busch's arm. "This provides Bud Light with an opportunity to establish and grow a light beer category in Colombia."
Exito commercial vice president Dario Jaramillo said Budweiser was one of the retailer's "best-selling beers" last year.
Just-drinks understands that only 0.3% of beer sales volumes in Colombia go through Exito stores. Budweiser sales are believed to have amounted to 10,000 hectolitres in Colombia last year.
Amoia declined to confirm Budweiser's sales in Colombia last year. However, he told just-drinks: "The Colombian beer market is thriving, particularly for premium international and light brands, and we plan to play a growing role in it with Budweiser and Bud Light.
"We are considering several options for growing the Budweiser brand in Colombia, but are not prepared to make an announcement at this time."
Officials at Exito could not be reached for further comment before just-drinks went to press.
Anheuser-Busch has posted a steady rise in profits and sales for its second quarter....
A local broker has lowered its coverage of Mexican brewer Grupo Modelo....
InBev and SABMiller have had their share coverage raised....
Anheuser-Busch has lined up a super-premium natural spring water for distribution in the US....
Budejovicky Budvar has seen beer exports to the US leap in the first half of this year....
SABMiller has announced that its wholly owned subsidiary SABSA Holdings has successfully priced a five-year ZAR1.6bn (US$229.4m) note issue in South Africa....
US brewing giant Anheuser-Busch is embroiled in a clash with the Wisconsin-based craft brewer Capital Brewery Company over the latter's attempts to trademark the phrase "America's No. 1 Rated Brewery"...
SABMiller has confirmed its interest in potential acquisitions with Colombian spirit companies....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China