US: A-B, SABMiller complete Grolsch US transfer
The two brewers, who signed a letter of intent pertaining to the transfer in May, closed the deal today (8 July). Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed.
The transfer will be effective from 1 August and, in addition to Grolsch Premium Lager, incorporates the entire Grolsch portfolio, including Grolsch Amber Ale, Grolsch Light Lager and Grolsch Blonde Lager.
Grolsch has been imported into the US by A-B since April 2006 under an agreement with brand owner Royal Grolsch. In February, SABMiller completed its acquisition of Royal Grolsch, and will see the importation rights for the US switch to its US joint venture, Miller Coors.
In 2007, Grolsch imports into the US hit around 215,000 hectolitres. Imported beers in the US now make up 15% of the country's beer market.
The brewing sector has seen steady consolidation in recent years and 2008 was certainly no exception. Olly Wehring reviews a year which began with the protracted takeover of S&N by Heineken and Carlsb...
The head of a US-based finance group has tipped Anheuser-Busch InBev to be a good bet for investors in 2009....
China Resources Snow Breweries has begun the construction of its production facility in Paoshan Industrial Zone in the outskirts of Shanghai....
The husband of a senior executive at financial pr firm Brunswick Group has been formally charged with orhestrating an insider trading racket that included Anheuser-Busch shares....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
MillerCoors has bowed to pressure from a coalition of state attourneys general in the US and agreed to remove a range of ingredients, including caffeine, from its Sparks drink....
AmBev has said that it has no knowledge of an investigation into its marketing practices in Brazil, following a local report....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has said it is considering whether to appeal an EU court ruling against its use of the 'Bud' trademark....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research