EU: A-B loses Portuguese Budweiser ruling
Anheuser-Busch cannot use the Budweiser name in Portugal, the highest chamber of the European Court of Human Rights has ruled.
The US brewer yesterday (11 January) lost an appeal against a Portuguese ruling from 2001 that gave full rights to the Budweiser name to Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar.
A-B launched its appeal last year after a lower chamber of the European Court of Human Rights dismissed the brewer's complaint that the Portuguese ruling violated its rights to the "peaceful enjoyment" of the trademark.
However, the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights yesterday dismissed that appeal.
Steve Burrows, the president and CEO of A-B's international operations, said: "We are disappointed the ruling does not open the door for Anheuser-Busch to establish its Budweiser trademark in Portugal. This judgment has no effect on Anheuser-Busch's business in Portugal as our trademark for Bud remains valid and unchallenged."
A spokesman for Budvar told just-drinks that the decision was "very good news" for the Czech brewer.
A-B's defeat re-ignites the battle between the two brewers over the Budweiser name.
On Monday (8 January), the companies signalled a thaw in their relationship with an agreement covering the US market. A-B will import and sell Budvar's Czechvar brand in the US. The Czech brewer cannot use the Budweiser name in the US market.
US investment bank Goldman Sachs has warned that top brewers in the US will be facing tough conditions for the foreseeable future....
The alcohol industry has come under fire from a pressure group for its alleged failure to invest enough in responsible drinking advertising in the US....
Anheuser-Busch is being countersued in the US by one of its distributors in Florida....
Anheuser-Busch has admitted that it has suffered "supply disruptions" to the InBev portfolio in the US....
Anheuser-Busch has claimed victory over Budejovicky Budvar in 12 European trademark decisions. The Czech-based brewer, however, has moved to play down the ruling, claiming it is "not a threat" to its ...
Anheuser-Busch has added to its spirits portfolio in the US, with a vodka distribution deal in the north-east of the country....
InBev has remained silent amid claims that a merger between the brewer and Anheuser-Busch is "inevitable"....
Anheuser-Busch has confirmed plans to distribute Margaritaville Tequila in the US state of Massachusetts....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends