US: A-B leans on past in Michelob revamp
Anheuser-Busch has drawn on the history of beer brand Michelob as it prepares to relaunch the product across the US.
A-B has decided to go back to Michelob's original recipe when it was first brewed in 1896. Michelob was initially brewed using 100% malt and from 26 February the brand will go on sale as an all-malt beer.
The Budweiser brewing giant has revamped the brand's packaging, a move that also harks back to yesteryear. Michelob Lager and Michelob Light will be packaged in redesigned "teardrop" bottles based on the original package launched in 1961.
"The teardrop bottle was originally created to make the beer immediately identifiable in even a darkened bar or restaurant, and we're going back to those roots," said Eduardo Pereda, director of marketing, Michelob Family, Anheuser-Busch today (9 February).
"We think the tradition of the new bottles and the all-malt recipes will give adult beer drinkers two great reasons to rediscover Michelob."
A-B has also redesigned the packaging for speciality brew Michelob AmberBock. The brand's new look will be available nationally on 5 March.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The drinks industry has come under attack in the US for supposedly using energy drinks to mask the effect of alcohol....
Compania Cervecerias Unidas has posted an impressive leap in operating and net profit in the year so far....
US drinks distributor Silver Eagle Distributors L.P. has acquired all assets of BudCo, the Anheuser-Busch and Grupo Modelo sales, marketing and distribution company for 13 counties in South Texas....
Anheuser-Busch has posted a steady rise in profits and sales for its second quarter....
A local broker has lowered its coverage of Mexican brewer Grupo Modelo....
InBev and SABMiller have had their share coverage raised....
Anheuser-Busch has lined up a super-premium natural spring water for distribution in the US....
Budejovicky Budvar has seen beer exports to the US leap in the first half of this year....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard to shut down Morris Winery
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview