BELGIUM: A-B InBev silent on Eastern Europe sale
Following reports out of Belgium and also in the Sunday Times newspaper that the brewing giant is looking to sell-off assets in Eastern Europe, a spokesperson for A-B InBev told just-drinks today (15 June) that the firm is "sticking to what we have said about disposals previously".
The brewer has reiterated on a number of occasions this year that it will look to sell certain assets in order to recoup $3.5bn of a $7bn bridge loan taken out to finance InBev's $52bn buyout of Anheuser-Busch late last year.
Rumours have swirled in recent months that A-B InBev might be tempted to sell its Czech beer unit, Staropramen, its German operations, though probably excluding Beck's, or perhaps even its Russian subsidiary, Sun InBev.
An industry source told just-drinks earlier this year that at least one party has shown interest in Sun InBev.
An analyst told just-drinks that consolidation between lesser foreign players in Russia, including A-B InBev, SABMiller and Turkey-based Efes, is likely at some point.
However, he said that A-B InBev was under no pressure to sell quickly, due to debt refinancing arrangements with banks, and that it may take at least a year for one of the players to make a move.
Results posted by major brewers in recent weeks suggest conditions are improving in the global beer market, which is borne out by a new report from just-drinks forecasting growth over the medium term....
Molson Coors and C&C Group have revised their distribution agreement over C&C's Draught Magners cider brand in the UK....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has beefed up its "recyclage" activity for its Stella Artois brand in the UK....
Skinny Nutritional has posted almost a doubling of net losses for its third quarter, as sales continue to rise for its flavoured water portfolio....
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has questioned the legality of caffeinated alcoholic beverages and may ban the drinks if producers cannot prove that adding caffeine to alcohol is safe....
The US Food ad Drug Administration is to investigate the safety and legality of caffeinated alcoholic beverages, following concern over the effects of the drinks on consumers....
AmBev, the division of Anheuser-Busch InBev, booked a 5.8% increase in third-quarter profit, boosted by beer sales in Brazil and prices increases....
Read the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research