Update - BELGIUM: A-B InBev secures deal to end blockades
A-B InBev beers to resume flowing
Anheuser-Busch InBev has secured a deal with trade unions to end a blockade of its breweries in Belgium.
Trade unions have agreed to end the blockades on the Leuven, Jupille and Hoegaarden breweries, A-B InBev said late today (21 January) following talks with union leaders and Government mediators.
Unions have agreed to enter a formal consultation with the Stella Artois brewer on its plan to cut up to 263 jobs in Belgium - around 10% of its workforce in the country.
Union leaders will present workers with the agreement tomorrow. "Once accepted [by workers] the gates will be de-blocked by Friday afternoon at the latest," said an A-B InBev spokesperson.
Supplies of the group's beers, including Jupiller and Leffe, have come close to running dry in Belgian bars and retailers as a result of the blockades.
A-B InBev's management in Belgium was "surprised" by the ferocity of the opposition to its job cut plans, one source close to the situation told just-drinks earlier today (21 January).
Analysts contacted by just-drinks said that the strike action would not have a significant impact on the firm's beer sales or financial performance.
To read the just-drinks comment on the blockades, with updated comments from A-B InBev, click here.
The rise of the world's large emerging markets, Brazil, Russia, India, China and Mexico - or BRICM to give them their popular acronym - has been especially significant for the drinks industry. With it...
While most of the alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages produced in Brazil are consumed domestically, the exception is the juice sector. Brazil is one of the world's top three producers of tropical fr...
Russia has a strong drinks sector, especially for spirits, beer and juices. Alcoholic beverage makers are having to deal with flat sales on the domestic market and a government determined to reduce al...
India's drinks industry was not harmed badly by the recession, with domestic sales of soft drinks and juice production all growing steadily throughout 2009, according to a recent Euromonitor report. I...
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is single malt the Great White Hope for Scotch?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US