S KOREA: A-B InBev gathers Oriental Brewery bids - report
First-round bidders are thought to include a range of private equity groups, while a senior official at Lotte Group also indicated that the firm has submitted a bid, according to a Reuters report from the region this week.
Analysts believe A-B InBev may raise between US$2bn and $2.5bn by selling Oriental Brewery, taking the brewer close the $3.5bn it needs to raise by November to cover a bridge loan repayment, used to part-finance InBev's $52bn takeover of A-B last autumn.
Officially, A-B InBev has declined to comment on whether Oriental, which is South Korea's second largest brewer, is up for sale.
The brewer has, however, confirmed that it is seeking to dispose of certain assets and several analysts have named Oriental as one of those most likely for the chop, alongside A-B theme parks in the US.
Last month, A-B InBev sold a 20% stake in Chinese brewer Tsingtao to Asahi for $667m. An Asahi spokesperson this month denied to just-drinks that the Japanese brewer had teamed up with Lotte Group to launch a joint bid for Oriental.
A shift in demand for premium beers in western markets and a cautious second-half outlook has taken some of the shine off a strong first half performance from Anheuser-Busch InBev, writes Michelle Rus...
SABMiller CEO Graham Mackay has reiterated that the group is interested in acquisitions, but the brewer has not been as inactive in the last 18 months as some may suppose....
Russia's Brewers' Union has warned the country's Government against a sharp excise tax rise on beer, as the industry ups the pressure on politicians ahead of debate on the 2010 Budget....
A change in supplier payment terms earlier this year helped to boost Carlsberg's cash flow in the first half of 2009, but has drawn criticism in the UK....
Packaging giant Ball Corporation plans to complete its acquisition of four beverage can plants from Anheuser-Busch InBev by the end of September....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Anheuser-Busch InBev has warned that it expects greater pressure on operating profits in second half of 2009....
AmBev, the division of Anheuser-Busch InBev, has reported solid rise in net sales and profits for the first half of 2009....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review