US: A-B in legal clash with craft brewer
US brewing giant Anheuser-Busch is embroiled in a clash with the Wisconsin-based craft brewer Capital Brewery Company over the latter's attempts to trademark the phrase "America's No. 1 Rated Brewery".
Capital has used the phrase on its six-packs, 12-packs and individual bottles since early 1999, after it won first place in the Beverage Testing Institute's 1998 rankings. The company also uses the slogan on its logos and support material such as T-shirts, hats and signage.
The company decided to apply to trademark the phrase with the US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2005 and A-B challenged the application, saying the slogan is deceptive and lacks meaning.
Capital has now responded to questions from Anheuser-Busch about the use of the slogan, and the St Louis brewer has until the middle of October to respond.
Anheuser-Busch said in a statement that while it had no objection to Capital using the phrase, it was opposed to the company registering it as a trademark.
Capital's legal representative said he expects the Trademark Trial And Appeal Board to hold a hearing on the matter in April 2008.
Sectors: Beer & cider
Rising raw material costs have been a feature of numerous companies' results over the past few months. As Jessica Harvey writes, some companies have been able to bolster themselves against this trend ...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Anheuser-Busch has confirmed details of its regular quarterly dividend....
Budejovicky Budvar has posted a lift in annual production and exports....
Compania Cervecerias Unidas (CCU) has seen volumes in 2007 rise on the year before...
Anheuser-Busch has reported a lift in shipment volumes in the US for 2007....
FEMSA Cerveza has confirmed that it is raising its prices in Mexico....
SABMiller has ruled out speculation that it is looking to list in the US next year....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends