US: A-B, Hansen deepen Monster relationship
The deal, announced today (9 February), deepens the relationship between the two companies. A-B already handles a slew of Hansen brands, including Monster, in the off-trade in select US states. Financial terms were undisclosed.
Hansen chairman and CEO Rodney C. Sacks said the on-premise is a "significant and largely untapped market" for the company.
He added: "This agreement opens a significant new and incremental sales channel for Monster that will play an essential role in continuing the development of the image and personality of our brand and provide extremely important sampling opportunities."
Energy drinks continue to grow in popularity in the US. For the three months to 31 December, sales leapt by 43% in the country, according to ACNielsen. Monster is the second-largest energy drink brand in the US.
"The energy drink segment offers exceptional growth, and deepening our already strong relationship with Hansen will help broaden Anheuser-Busch's participation in this highly profitable category," added August Busch IV, president and CEO of Anheuser-Busch.
Mark Swartzberg, an analyst at US bank Stifel Nicolaus, said the deal showed A-B is happy with its relationship with Hansen. He said: "We believe the agreement is significant for Hansen in that it gives the company access to a segment where it has virtually no existing presence for its products, with a distribution network that will allow it to compete with a well-entrenched number-one brand in the segment, Red Bull."
Swartzberg added that the US on-trade accounts for around 26% of energy drinks throughout the country.
The drinks industry has come under attack in the US for supposedly using energy drinks to mask the effect of alcohol....
Compania Cervecerias Unidas has posted an impressive leap in operating and net profit in the year so far....
US drinks distributor Silver Eagle Distributors L.P. has acquired all assets of BudCo, the Anheuser-Busch and Grupo Modelo sales, marketing and distribution company for 13 counties in South Texas....
Thai Beverage is reportedly in the hunt for an energy drink company in Thailand....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has posted a slide in second quarter net profit, despite a lift in sales....
Anheuser-Busch has posted a steady rise in profits and sales for its second quarter....
A local broker has lowered its coverage of Mexican brewer Grupo Modelo....
AG Barr has signed a three-year deal with The Scottish Football League, making its Irn-Bru brand the official sponsor....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018