EU: A-B, Budvar European trademark ruling handed down
Anheuser-Busch has claimed victory over Budejovicky Budvar in 12 European trademark decisions. The Czech-based brewer, however, has moved to play down the ruling, claiming it is "not a threat" to its EU business activities.
The Court of First Instance in Luxembourg ruled today (12 June) that it has dismissed Budvar's opposition to 12 A-B community trademark applications. The trademark applications covered a variety of promotional goods including clothing, beermats, neon signs and glassware.
"Securing these 12 community trademark registrations will provide us with greater opportunities to promote our products throughout the EU and will provide increased protection against others trying to benefit from our brand names," said Tom Santel, president and CEO of Anheuser-Busch International.
Budvar, however, dismissed the ruling as not being "relevant to the sale of Budvar beer".
"The Luxembourg Court's current rulings in the matter of the Community Trademarks have no influence whatsoever on the validity of the prior trademarks previously registered by Budweiser Budvar in the individual EU countries on a national level," said Budweiser Budvar's lawyer, Helena Lejtnarová.
The rulings are subject to one last appeal to the European Court of Justice. Budvar said it will consider whether to appeal against the decision.
Rising raw material costs have been a feature of numerous companies' results over the past few months. As Jessica Harvey writes, some companies have been able to bolster themselves against this trend ...
Anheuser-Busch has promoted its vice president of corporate labor relations to the newly-vacated role of group vice president and chief legal officer....
Budejovicky Budvar is the latest brewer to announce price rises for its beers as commodity cost pressures make their presence felt....
Anheuser-Busch has reaffirmed its full-year earnings per share growth despite the rising costs of commodities....
Anheuser-Busch has launched a new vodka brand through its Long Tail Libations spirits arm across the US....
The likelihood of a union between InBev and Anheuser-Busch has become a stronger possibility, following SABMiller's acquisition of Grolsch, according to a drinks analyst....
Grupo Modelo has extended its distribution agreement with Molson Coors Brewing in Canada....
Grolsch has hailed today's (19 November) move by SABMiller to acquire the Dutch brewer as "ideal"....
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends