CYPRUS: A-B, Budvar call Budweiser truce
Anheuser-Busch and Budejovicky Budvar have unusually reached a settlement on a Budweiser trademark dispute, this time concerning rights to the Bud name in Cyprus.
The deal will see the Czech brewer able to use its Budejovicky Budvar name and print the term 'Budweiser Budvar, National Corporation' on its back label. However, it cannot use the term 'Budweiser' on the front label of its beer bottles in Cyprus.
"We are pleased with this agreement and consider it a fair compromise," said Steve Burrows, CEO and president of Anheuser-Busch International. "The settlement eliminates the distraction of ongoing litigation in Cyprus and protects our strong trademark rights in this country by removing the prominent use of the Budweiser name from Budejovicky Budvar's front label."
A-B first registered the names Budweiser and Bud in 1980. The Cypriot dispute began in 2000 when the US brewing giant started legal action against Budejovicky Budvar.
The battle for the Budweiser trademark still rages around the world and Burrows said A-B would "continue to protect our famous trademarks from any possible infringements".
Bear Stearns has downgraded its rating for Anheuser-Busch and questioned the brewer's price-cutting policy....
Anheuser-Busch may have to reinstate workers it dismissed after catching inappropriate behaviour using hidden cameras....
Anheuser-Busch has countered attacks against the launch of its caffeine-infused B(E) beer....
Anheuser-Busch is to follow the US launch of its B(E) beer by rolling out the brand in the UK....
An Italian court has ruled in Anheuser-Busch's favour, ordering the cancellation of three registered trademarks in Italy held by Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar....
Anheuser-Busch has reiterated its 2005 earnings per share outlook....
Anheuser-Busch is the latest US drinks company to be hit by industrial action....
Anheuser-Busch has announced that its premium low-carb brand, Michelob Ultra, is to be a sponsor of the British winter and summer Olympic squads....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018