FINLAND: 2003 beer and soft drink sales slip
Figures released yesterday show a drop in beer and soft drinks sales in Finland in 2003. Finland's Union of Brewing and Soft Drinks Companies announced that sales fell last year by 3% year-on-year to 835m litres.
Sales of soft drinks fell by 4.5% to 296.8m litres, while sales of Finnish beer dropped by 2.4% to 403.7m litres. Cider sales also fell, by 5m litres to 45.5m litres.
Sales of beer through Finland's state-owned alcohol retailing monopoly Alko fell by 9.4% and beer sales in restaurants and bars fell by 4.8%.
The drop in sales of beer and other alcoholic drinks has been blamed mainly on the rise in quantities of alcohol which Finns import privately from other countries, especially Estonia. When Estonia joins the EU in May, such imports are expected to increase even further.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Asahi loses Q1 sales overseas
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends