AUSTRALIA: : BRL Hardy in super-premium talks with Mondavi while premium beer plans hot up
BRL Hardy is talking to US wine companies about producing a 'super-premium icon Australian' wine for the US market.Managing director, Stephen Millar, said today that Robert Mondavi Wines was one of the companies with which the super-premium plan was being discussed.Mondavi managing director, Michael Mondavi, was in Australia several weeks ago and is understood to have spent considerable time at BRL Hardy's Reynella, South Australia, headquarters, and at its McLaren Vale, Wrattonbully and Padthaway wineries and vineyards.Millar said that BRL was also considering producing it own commercial wines for the US market. He expected the plans to be implemented within the next six months.Millar said that BRL Hardy, which had now acquired more than 92% of shares in New Zealand's Nobilo Wines, was planning to spend about $NZ20m to expand vineyards and production capacity.Production is expected to increase from 5,000 tonnes at present to 10,000 tonnes within five years.BRL Hardy was also examining the information memorandum from Corbans, NZ's second largest winery, which has been put on the market by the DB Group, NZ's second largest brewer.BRL Hardy is also poised to enter the brewing industry in a joint venture with an Australian brewer, which has yet to named.Millar said that samples of a premium lager - destined for the fastest growing segment of the market - were due to be tasted within the next ten days.The brand is expected to be launched early in 2001. Initially, about 50,000 cases would be produced with plans for 1m cases "over time".Chris Snow
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends