United Kingdom Cider Market Insights 2013
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, pear, flavoured). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2013 United Kingdom Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the UK cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The market for ciders fell by approaching 2% in 2012 in spite of an extraordinary surge in demand for flavored cider.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Conventional cider saw a drop ahead of the overall category last year. The year was shaped by the unusually wet summer and a poor trading period at Christmas. Volumes were also eroded by some price pointing in the supermarkets.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The United Kingdom Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the UK cider market.
This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2012.
This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles.
This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non-refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
2012 had an especially wet summer which undoubtedly hurt the cider category.
Consumer spending continued to be hindered by the on-going economic situation.
Drunk over ice, Magners was the founding father of these so called ‘modern ciders’. These beverages have appealed to a wider audience and blurred the line between FABs and cider.
White cider, which had initially been offered as a premium proposition, continue to fade to well under 10% of the market. These strong ciders tarnished the good name of cider and for many years prompted the category to struggle with image problems.
Interest in cider is growing around the world with many operators looking to these new markets to expand their businesses.
The market is being driven by the so called modern ciders, of which flavored products are at the forefront. Modern ciders are descendants of the Magners brand.
The rise in ‘modern ciders’ has come at the expense of FABs, just as the rise of FABs in the nineties came largely at the expense of cider.
The key segment movement in 2012 was the rise of flavored cider, which has now overtaken the pear segment.
The arrival of Kopparberg reignited the pear segment and its success prompted Magners, Bulmers, Stella Cidre and Strongbow among others to introduce pear variants.
A new pear variant and a lower 5.0% Abv could not prevent Strongbow falling steeply last year.
Table of contents
Section 1 Market Update
• Market Size
• Market Value
• Distribution 2012
• Current and Emerging Trends
• Imports and Exports
• Top 10 Cider Brands – Volume, 2011-2012
• Top 10 International Premium and Super premium Cider Brands – Volume, 2011-2012
• Brand Analysis
• Private Label/Private Label Producers
• New Products Activity
• Chart – Leading Brewers/Imports, 2012
• Market Structure
• Cider Producers/Importers
• Chart – Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2012
• Packaging Trends
• Chart – Distribution by Channel, 2012
• Chart – Consumption by Price Segment, 2012
• Market Valuation & Pricing
• Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
• Distribution Trends
LEGISLATION AND TAXATION TABLES
• Table 1.2.1 – Taxation Base
• Table 1.2.2 - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
• Table 1.2.3 – Legal Controls on Cider
• Table 1.3.1 – Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2011-2013
• Table 1.3.2 – Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-2013
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Litres, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - % Share, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Growth, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Litres, 2002-2013F
• Alcoholic Beverage Consumption - Litres of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2002-2013F
• Cider Production/Trade/Consumption – Growth, 2006-2013F
• Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2002-2013F
• Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2009-2013F.
• Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Type, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2009-2013F
• Cider All Trademarks, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Type, 2008-2012
• Cider Imported Brands by Origin, 2008-2012
• Cider Trademark Owners, 2008-2012
• Cider Local Operators, 2008-2012
• Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2008-2012
• Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refill ability/Type/Pack/Size, 2009-2013F
• Cider Distribution: On vs. Off Premise, 2009-2013F
Section 2 Brewer Profiles
? ASTON MANOR BREWERY
? Aston Manor Brewery Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
? C&C GROUP PLC
? C&C Group Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
? Gaymers Cider Company Brands Volumes, 2008-2012
? Wm Magners Ltd Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
? HEINEKEN UK(HP BULMER)
? Heineken UK Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
MINOR CIDER COMPANIES
? Brothers Drinks Co Ltd
? Merrydown (SHS)
? Kopparbergs Cider
? Thatchers Cider Co
? H Weston & Sons Ltd
Beer and Cider Attributes Definitions
List of Tables
Table 1: Cider Key Facts
Table 2: Top 10 Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
Table 3: Top 10 International Premium and Superpremium Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
Table 4: Licensed Brand Owners and Licensees
Table 5: Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
Table 6: - Taxation Base (March 2012 Budget)
Table 7: - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
Table 8: - Legal Controls on Cider
Table 9: - Tax Burden on Cider
Table 10: Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-2013
Table 11: Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-2013
Table 12: Cider Production/Trade/Consumption, 2005-2013F
Table 13: Cider Production/Trade/Consumption - Growth, 2005-2013F
Table 14: Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2002-2013F
Table 15: Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
Table 16: Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2009-2013F
Table 17: Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2009-2013F
Table 18: Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2009-2013F
Table 19: Cider Consumption by Type, 2009-2013F
Table 20: Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2009-2013F
Table 21: Cider All Trademarks, 2008-2012
Table 22: Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2008-2012
Table 23: Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2008-2012
Table 24: Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012
Table 25: Cider Brands by Type, 2008-2012
Table 26: Imported Brands by Origin, 2008-2012
Table 27: Cider Licensed Brands, 2012-2012
Table 28: Cider Private Label Brands, 2008-2012
Table 29: Cider Trademark Owners, 2008-2012
Table 30: Cider Local Operators, 2008-2012
Table 31: Cider leading Brewers/Importers, 2008-2012
Table 32: Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refillability/Pack/Size, 2009-2013F
Table 33: Cider Distribution: On vs Off Premise, 2009-2013F
Table 34: A-BInBev UK Full Cider Brand List
Table 35: A-BInBev UK Brand Volumes 2011-2012
Table 36: Aston Manor Brewery Full Cider Brand List
Table 37: Aston Manor Brewery Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 38: Gaymers Cider Company Full Cider Brand List
Table 39: C&C Group Brand Volumes 2010-2012
Table 40: WmMagners Ltd Brand Volumes 2008-2009
Table 41: Gaymers Cider Company Brand Volumes 2008-2009
Table 42: Heineken UK Full Cider Brand List
Table 43: Heineken UK Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 44: Company Aspalls
Table 45: Company Brothers Drinks Co Ltd .
Table 46: Company Kopparberg
Table 47: Company Merrydown (SHS)
Table 48: Company Thatchers Cider Co
Table 49: Company H Weston & Sons Ltd
List of Figures
Figure 1: Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2012
Figure 2: Cider Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2012
Figure 3: Cider Distribution by Channel, 2012
Figure 4: Cider Consumption by Price Segment, 2012
The just-drinks office is currently: Closed
Office opening hours
The office is closed during weekends.
Current time at just-drinks headquarters: 11:08pm (Thursday, 12 December 2013)