Trends in Weight Management 2011
This report considers global obesity and overweight statistics and considers how different products and diets affect the body’s natural weight control mechanism. The report also examines current health claims regulation for food and drinks and explores recent developments in diet brands, key innovations in functional foods and other strategies such as novel delivery methods and using social media.
Features and benefits
- Assess some of the latest weight management products and branded diet trends on the market and understand what makes them popular with consumers.
- Review the current legislative changes affecting the weight management category with a focus on the EU and the current status of EFSA opinions.
- Understand the current obesity statistics and demographics as well as the causes of overweight and obese society.
- Identify the key factors for creating successful weight management program and diet products
- Understand the biological mechanisms of approaches to weight management.
The growth of obesity in has increased significantly from 15% in 1980 to 46% in 2010 in the US and from 7% to 15.5% in 2010 in the EU. This equates to 150 million adults and 15 million children in the EU expected to be obese by 2010 according the WHO. The US and France have the highest populations of overweight men, and the US of overweight women.
Of the total number of claims assessed by EFSA, weight management represents around 4%. About 35% of the 200 weight management claims have been assessed; 92% of these assessed claims have been given a negative opinion by EFSA on grounds of characterization or of substantiation related to the claim of a cause and effect relationship.
With more stringent regulations in the US and EU there is a decline in real innovation. Opportunities for weight management plans and diet systems are becoming apparent as regulations seem to be real less restrictive when exercise and sensible diet plans with realistic weight loss claims are marketed as part of the total weight management solution.
Your key questions answered
- What is the current prevalence and sociodemographic impact of overweight and obese consumers in the US and EU?
- What are the key regulatory changes affecting the weight management category in 2011 and beyond?
- What new technologies are weight loss brands using to communicate and help their customers achieve their goals?
- What new developments have occurred in weight management ingredients products?
- What are the key biological weight-loss mechanisms to target with functional products?
Table of contentsExecutive Summary
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 Global obesity and overweight statistics
Chapter 3 Weight management claims regulation
Chapter 4 Approaches to weight management
Chapter 5 Innovations in weight management
Chapter 6 Branded diet plans
About the authors
Mark J. Tallon, PhD
James O’Byrne, MBA
Aims of the report
Global obesity and overweight statistics
Adult obesity and overweight
Adult obesity demographics in the US
Are obesity levels stabilizing?
Gender and socioeconomic issues
The causes of obesity
Social and cultural impact on obesity
Consumer spending behavior and obesity
The cost of obesity
Obesity policy and role of the government
Weight management claims regulation
Introduction to legislation
European regulations and weight management
Weight management claims
Jumping the hurdles for weight management claim approval
The future of health claims regulation
US claims regulation and weight management
Key weight management health claim enforcements in the US
Approaches to weight management
Research into the causes of being overweight and obese
Biological causes of overweight and obesity
How diets work
Central nervous system (CNS) stimulation
Tackling weight management through diet
Supplementation and functional foods for weight management
Innovations in weight management
Branded ingredients for weight loss
Novel ingredient applications for weight loss
Food and drinks products targeting weight management
Innovative delivery mechanisms for weight management products
Innovation opportunities for weight management products
Targeting meal occasions
Beverages for weight management
Branded diet plans and regimens
Diet plan brands
Weight Watchers International
The Dukan Diet
Key trends in diet plans
Convenience and snacking
Websites, e-tools, and mobile apps
Key strategies for success in the diet plan market
Regimens that advocate radical lifestyle changes
Gradual weight loss
Encouraging long term compliance
The future of diet plans and products: a positive and permanent lifestyle change
Related research categories
By sector: Trends
The just-drinks office is currently: Open
Office opening hours
The office is closed during weekends.
Current time at just-drinks headquarters: 1:32pm (Tuesday, 21 May 2013)