Switzerland Cider Market Insights
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, flavoured). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2013 Switzerland Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Swiss cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The Swiss cider market is showing no signs of recovery as recorded volumes were down a further 2% last year, with adverse weather contributing to the downtrend throughout the year.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
2012 was also blighted by a general lack of innovation and new product introductions, although Ramseier Suisse aims to add a cloudy variant to its SuureMoscht brand in 2013. Inexpensive beer imports also impinged on the cider market.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Switzerland Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Switzerland cider market.
This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2012.
This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles.
This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non-refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
Domestic cider remains a seasonal beverage - with peak times over the summer, especially during harvest periods and festivals, as well as the year end festive season.
Changes in consumer preference and increased product selection of alternative alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are hurting this category.
The continued long-term shift from on-trade to off-trade in respect of beverage consumption will also continue to act as a disadvantage to cider products.
Traditional cider has failed to establish itself as a trendy drink among younger drinkers. Without marketing drive or innovation, interest is waning as the older cider drinking generations shrink in number.
A trend towards drinks with lower alcoholic content (health and wellness trend) is a potential opportunity, although wine is more likely to benefit from this.
Meanwhile imports took share, assisted by the high value of the Swiss Franc as importers exercised financial security by diversifying the domestic market with international flavors.
Various small scale private production facilities do exist, but they produce for local consumption and are 'artisan' in nature.
Industry consolidation has already occurred in Switzerland. No further mergers or acquisition are expected.
The average off-premise price in 2012 was CHF3.13. This increase was pushed up by the premium and mainstream segments.
Cider can be bought in retail through Cash & Carry warehouses but the main outlets are agricultural supermarkets and include Coop, Ländi and Migros outlets located in rural areas selling agricultural supplies alongside regular supermarket product lines. Premium ciders are also sold online.
Table of contents
Section 1 Market Update
• Market Size
• Market Value
• Distribution 2012
• Current and Emerging Trends
• Imports and Exports
• Top 10 Cider Brands – Volume, 2010-2012
• Top 10 International Premium and Super premium Cider Brands – Volume, 2010-2012
• Brand Analysis
• Private Label/Private Label Producers
• Chart – Leading Brewers/Imports, 2012
• Market Structure
• Cider Producers/Importers
• Chart – Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2012
• Packaging Trends
• Chart – Distribution by Channel, 2012
• Chart – Consumption by Price Segment, 2012
• Market Valuation & Pricing
• Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
• Distribution Trends
LEGISLATION AND TAXATION TABLES
• Table 1.2.1 – Taxation Base
• Table 1.2.2 - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
• Table 1.2.3 – Legal Controls on Cider
• Table 1.2.4 – Tax Burden on Cider
• Table 1.3.1 – Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2011-2013
• Table 1.3.2 – Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-2013
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Litres, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - % Share, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Growth, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Litres, 2002-2013F
• Alcoholic Beverage Consumption - Litres of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2002-2013F
• Cider Production/Trade/Consumption – Growth, 2006-2013F
• Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2002-2013F
• Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2009-2013F.
• Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Type, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2009-2013F
• Cider All Trademarks, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Type, 2008-2012
• Cider Imported Brands by Origin, 2008-2012
• Cider Trademark Owners, 2008-2012
• Cider Local Operators, 2008-2012
• Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2008-2012
• Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refill ability/Type/Pack/Size, 2009-2013F
• Cider Distribution: On vs. Off Premise, 2009-2013F
Section 2 Brewer Profiles
• MOSTEREI MOHL AG
• MostereiMohl Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• RAMSEIER SUISSE AG
• Ramseier Suisse Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• Mosterei Kobelt & Co
• Feldschlosschen/Carlsberg Group
• Heineken Switzerland
• Drinks of the World
Beer and Cider Attributes Definitions
List of Tables
Table 1: Data Revisions Summary
Table 2: Cider Key Facts
Table 3: Top 10 Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
Table 4: Top 10 International Premium and Superpremium Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
Table 5: Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
Table 6: - Taxation Base
Table 7: - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
Table 8: - Legal Controls on Cider
Table 9: - Tax Burden on Cider 2011
Table 10: Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2011-2013
Table 11: Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-2013
Table 12: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Litres Per Capita, 2002-2013F
Table 13: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Per Capita % Share, 2002-2013F
Table 14: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Per Capita Growth, 2003-2013F
Table 15: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Liters, 2002-2013F
Table 16: Average Beverage Consumption - Liters of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2002-2013F
Table 17: Cider Production/Trade/Consumption, 2005-2013F
Table 18: Cider Production/Trade/Consumption - Growth, 2005-2013F
Table 19: Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2002-2013F
Table 20: Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
Table 21: Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2009-2013F
Table 22: Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2009-2013F
Table 23: Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2009-2013F
Table 24: Cider Consumption by Type, 2009-2013F
Table 25: Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2009-2013F
Table 26: Cider All Trademarks, 2008-2012
Table 27: Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2008-2012
Table 28: Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2008-2012
Table 29: Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012
Table 30: Cider Brands by Type, 2008-2012
Table 31: Imported Brands by Origin, 2008-2012
Table 32: Cider Trademark Owners, 2008-2012
Table 33: Cider Local Operators, 2008-2012
Table 34: Cider leading Brewers/Importers, 2008-2012
Table 35: Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refillability/Pack/Size, 2009-2013F
Table 36: Cider Distribution: On vs Off Premise, 2009-2013F
Table 37: MostereiMöhl Full Brand List
Table 38: MostereiMohl Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 39: Ramseier Suisse Full Brand List
Table 40: Ramseier Suisse Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 41: Company MostereiKobelt + Co
Table 42: Company Schlör AG
List of Figures
Figure 1: Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2012
Figure 2: Cider Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2012
Figure 3: Cider Distribution by Channel, 2012
Figure 4: Cider Consumption by Price Segment, 2012
The just-drinks office is currently: Open
Office opening hours
The office is closed during weekends.
Current time at just-drinks headquarters: 10:10am (Wednesday, 11 December 2013)