Successes and Failures Case Study: Glowelle Beauty Drink
Effective innovation is difficult to come by, but it is the key to sustained competitive advantage in the consumer packaged goods industry. Lessons can be learned from both successes and failures. This case study looks at why Glowelle, a high-end beauty beverage, failed to resonate with appearance-conscious consumers in the US.
- Access comprehensive analysis of global successes and failures in the consumer packaged goods industry to drive ideation and inspiration.
- Obtain country-specific consumer insight to understand the consumer attitudes and needs that underpinned innovation success/failure.
- Avoid costly investments by learning important lessons from companies and brands that have failed or under-delivered.
- Obtain a broader appreciation of the CPG industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your category.
Innovation can be highly rewarding but fraught with risk, with product failure rates of around 80%. Still, valuable lessons can be learnt from both hits and misses. Each case study is supported by tangible evidence of success or failure, and contextualized by Datamonitor’s own research and analysis.
This case study looks at the example of Nestlé's Glowelle beauty drink in the US. The product's comparatively high price and unfamiliar benefits were significant obstacles to consumer acceptance.
Keywords: success, failure, CPG, FMCG, innovation, marketing, Nestlé, Glowelle, US, functional, nutraceutical, beauty, appearance, women, beverage, claims, labeling, benefits, premium, expensive, skepticism, trust, cynicism, discontinued, withdrawn.
- Why is Nestlé’s Glowelle beauty drink considered an interesting case of failure?
- How does Datamonitor assess the performance of the product?
- What consumer insight has underpinned this?
- What can I learn from the failure of Nestlé’s Glowelle beauty drink in the US?
Table of contentsNot available
Related research categories
By sector: General drinks
The just-drinks office is currently: Open
Office opening hours
The office is closed during weekends.
Current time at just-drinks headquarters: 10:23am (Wednesday, 22 May 2013)