Spain Cider Market Insights 2013
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type. Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2013 Spain Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Spanish cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Cider decreased by 3% in 2012.The cider market is split between traditional or natural called still cider and carbonated cider; two variants sharing the same parent name but with different production procedures resulting in two different beverages in terms of flavor and consumption characteristics.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The decline was mainly caused by an on-premise contraction suffered at EDA outlets due to the economic difficulties of consumers
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Spain Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Spain cider market.
This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2012.
This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles.
This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non-refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
The cider market is split between traditional or natural called still cider and carbonated cider; two variants sharing the same parent name but with different production procedures resulting in two different beverages in terms of flavor and consumption characteristics.
Cider is positioned as a low alcohol content (4-7% Abv) and easy to drink beverage for consumers who are reluctant to indulge in heavy alcohol consumption.
Consumption in EDA outlets contracted as consumers continued to be reluctant to spend.
From the beginnings of the Spanish cider market, carbonated cider brands have traditionally used thick green glass bottle packaging for easy identification on retail shelves. This packaging strategy has encouraged a rather old-fashioned image of cider, similar to that of some outdated brands of sherry or local quality wine.
The small producers’ share is steadily shrinking as these players are unable to compete against leading and Private Label brands.
The forecast for 2013 is for further decline owing to the on-premise market being affected by the limited spending power of the consumer.
The off-premise market performed well and achieved a moderate growth driven by PL brands.
The leading brands took further share. The two leading brands, El Gaitero and La Asturiana, were supported through competitive pricing and excellent presence at points of sale.
Both El Bochero and El Gaitero Black were premium brands that saw a positive performance in 2012 as a result of some consumers shifting to at home consumption, and now opting for a premium brand instead of a mainstream one.
Due to their super premium positioning, key imported brands declined.
Table of contents
Section 1 Market Update
• Market Size
• Market Value
• Distribution 2012
• Current and Emerging Trends
• Imports and Exports
• Top 10 Cider Brands – Volume, 2010-2012
• Top 10 International Premium and Super premium Cider Brands – Volume, 2010-2012
• Brand Analysis
• Private Label/Private Label Producers
• New Products Activity
• Chart – Leading Brewers/Imports, 2012
• Market Structure
• Cider Producers/Importers
• Chart – Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2012
• Packaging Trends
• Chart – Distribution by Channel, 2012
• Chart – Consumption by Price Segment, 2012
• Market Valuation & Pricing
• Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
• Distribution Trends
LEGISLATION AND TAXATION TABLES
• Table 1.2.1 – Taxation Base
• Table 1.2.2 - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
• Table 1.2.4 – Tax Burden on Cider
• Table 1.3.1 – Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2011-2013
• Table 1.3.2 – Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-2013
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Litres, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - % Share, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Growth, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Litres, 2002-2013F
• Alcoholic Beverage Consumption - Litres of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2002-2013F
• Cider Production/Trade/Consumption – Growth, 2006-2013F
• Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2002-2013F
• Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2009-2013F.
• Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Type, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2009-2013F
• Cider All Trademarks, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Type, 2008-2012
• Cider Imported Brands by Origin, 2008-2012
• Cider Trademark Owners, 2008-2012
• Cider Local Operators, 2008-2012
• Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2008-2012
• Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refill ability/Type/Pack/Size, 2009-2013F
• Cider Distribution: On vs. Off Premise, 2009-2013F
Section 2 Brewer Profiles
• BODEGAS DE VILLAVICIOSA (formerly CHAMPANERA DE VILLAVICIOSA SA)
• Champanera de Villaviciosa Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• ENVASADOS EVA
• Envasados Eva Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• GRUSIFAS SA
• Grusifas Sa Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• MARTINEZ SOPENA HERMANOS
• Martinez SopenaHermanos Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• SIDRA ESCANCIADOR SA
• Sidra Escanciador Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• SIDRA MENENDEZ SL
• Sidra Menendez Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• SIDRA TRABANCO S.A.
• Sidra Trabanco Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• SA VALLE, BALLINA Y FERNANDEZ
• Valle, Ballina y Fernandez Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• ZAPIAIN SAT
• Zapiain SAT Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
Beer and Cider Attributes Definitions
List of Tables
Table 2: Cider Key Facts
Table 3: Top 10 Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
Table 4: Top 10 International Premium and Superpremium Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
Table 5: Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
Table 6: - Taxation Base .
Table 7: - Historical Excise Rates of Beer
Table 8: - Legal controls on Cider
Table 9: - Tax Burden on Cider @ 4% Abv, 2012
Table 10: Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2011-2013
Table 11: Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-201
Table 12: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Litres Per Capita, 2002-2013F
Table 13: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Per Capita % Share, 2002-2013F
Table 14: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Per Capita Growth, 2003-2013F
Table 15: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Liters, 2002-2013F
Table 16: Average Beverage Consumption - Liters of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2002-2013F
Table 17: Cider Production/Trade/Consumption, 2005-2013F
Table 18: Cider Production/Trade/Consumption - Growth, 2005-2013F
Table 19: Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2002-2013F
Table 20: Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
Table 21: Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2009-2013F
Table 22: Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2009-2013F
Table 23: Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2009-2013F
Table 24: Cider Consumption by Type, 2009-2013F
Table 25: Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2009-2013F
Table 26: Cider All Trademarks, 2008-2012
Table 27: Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2008-2012
Table 28: Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2008-2012
Table 29: Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012
Table 30: Cider Brands by Type, 2008-2012
Table 31: Imported Brands by Origin, 2008-2012
Table 32: Cider Private Label Brands, 2008-2012
Table 33: Cider Trademark Owners, 2008-2012
Table 34: Cider Local Operators, 2008-2012
Table 35: Cider leading Brewers/Importers, 2008-2012
Table 36: Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refillability/Pack/Size, 2009-2013F
Table 37: Cider Distribution: On vs Off Premise, 2009-2013F
Table 38: Bodegas De Villaviciosa Full Brand List
Table 39: Bodegas de Villaviciosa Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 40: Envasados Eva Full Brand List
Table 41: Envasados Eva Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 42: Grufisas SA Full Brand List
Table 43: Grusifas SA Brand Volumes 2008-2012 .
Table 44: Martinez Sopena Full Brand List
Table 45: Martinez SopenaHermanos Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 46: Sidra Escanciador Full Brand List
Table 47: Sidra Escanciador Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 48: Sidra Menendez Full Brand List
Table 49: Sidra Menendez Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 50: Sidra Trabanco S.A. Full Brand List
Table 51: Sidra Trabanco Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 52: S.A. Valle, Ballina Y Fernández Full Brand List
Table 53: Valle, Ballina y Fernandez Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 54: Zapiain S.A.T. Full Brand List .
Table 55: Zapiain SAT Brand Volumes 2008-2012
List of Figures
Figure 1: Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2012
Figure 2: Cider Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2012.
Figure 3: Cider Distribution by Channel, 2012
Figure 4: Cider Consumption by Price Segment, 2012
The just-drinks office is currently: Open
Office opening hours
The office is closed during weekends.
Current time at just-drinks headquarters: 3:10pm (Wednesday, 12 March 2014)