Opportunities for healthy food and drink brands in the US vending channel
This 122-page report is written by experienced food marketers to be a practical guide to strategy:
* The three Key Trends in snacking that provide the greatest opportunities – and which are the focus of the most successful brands – are detailed in a concise 45-page introduction, along with a step-by-step guide to practical innovation strategy and brand positioning for snacks.
* The 15 Case Studies detail which strategies snacking brands have adopted to become successful with oats, wholegrains, fruit and vegetables, protein, fibre, cocoa, nuts and berries.
* Each Case Study addresses packaging, choice of ingredients, nutrition profiles, product messages, marketing communications strategy, pricing strategies (and why some brands are able to earn premium prices), which consumers buy them and why, all supported with supermarket sales data.
* The Case Studies will enable you to understand how to communicate a range of benefits – from “slow-release energy” to “a serving of fruit” – and why some brands succeed and others fail.
This report provides practical insights and examples for any company, large or small, aiming to create a successful snacking proposition and better-manage the risks of new product development and innovation.
Each Case Study gives our usual independent and opinionated analysis, based on interviews with executives at all of the companies concerned, as well as independent industry experts.
Table of contentsExecutive summary
1. Healthy snacking: a wealth of innovation opportunities
1.1 Four factors for success in snacking
1.2 Innovation without limits
1.3 The essential qualities needed for innovation
2. Key trends in healthy snacking
2.1 Trend 1: Naturalness
2.2 Trend 2: Fruit & vegetables
2.3 Trend 3: Higher protein, slower carbs
3. Brand positioning in healthy snacking
3.1 Targeting the right consumers
3.2 Distribution & routes to market: smart thinking finds smarter ways to take health to market
3.3 Marketing communications
4. Seven strategies to increase your chances of success in healthy snacking
5. Case studies
Innovation in format
Case study 1: Popchips - new product format delivers healthier chip at premium price
Innovation in ingredients
Case study 2: Mars - exploring how to make cocoa the next ingredient success in snacks
Targeting the technology consumer
Case study 3: Probake 50 - new format brings a healthy dose of protein
Targeting the lifestyle consumer
Case study 4: Smaller, leaner, kinder: bars tap into womens needs
Case study 5: ThinkThin Bars wellness platform resonates with women
Targeting the mass market
Case study 6: Kraft Belvita Breakfast - giving people permission to have a sweet snack at breakfast
Case study 7: Fiber One - an expert brand in digestive health
Naturalness - the biggest trend
Case study 8: PepsiCo transforms the snack food aisle into the natural food aisle
Case study 9: Wonderful Pistachios - making natural into a super-premium success
Case study 10: Nairns - product innovation, natural energy from expert brand in oat-based snacks
Fruit & vegetables
Case study 11: Nature Addicts - Europes most successful new snack brand
Case study 12: Castus fruit snacks - a hit with Danish children
Case study 13: Frito-Lays fruit and vegetable snack brand ambitions fall to earth
Case study 14: Ocean Spray - from bog fruit to big fruit
Case study 15: Berries - convenience, indulgence and natural functionality drive a super-premium success story
The just-drinks office is currently: Closed
Office opening hours
The office is closed during weekends.
Current time at just-drinks headquarters: 12:34pm (Saturday, 18 May 2013)