Emerging Ingredients in Food and Drinks: Growth opportunities in flavors and formulation by product category
This report analyzes the ways manufacturers have been responding to the consumer drivers of naturalness and health. These include using natural ingredient formulations which offer benefits of nutritionally rich, quality calories. It examines leading and newly emerging ingredients in each of the major food and drink categories, identifies developing trends within these categories and give examples of recent product launches. Also included are findings from an exclusive international survey of industry executives.Key features of this report
• • Analysis of the fastest growing claims in newly launched food and drinks products for 2008-2009.
• Analysis of sales values for the natural and organic food and drink market in the US and Europe.
• Identifies emerging ingredients, and analyzes product applications and marketing strategies in NPD, drawing on data from the ProductScan Online NPD tracking service.
• Category analysis, identifying leading and emerging ingredients and developing ingredients trends for each of the major food and drink categories.
• Illustrated examinations of key product introductions and innovations.
Scope of this report
• • Understand how manufacturers are formulating existing and new products to meet consumer demands for natural and healthful food and drink.
• Understand how each of the major food and drinks categories are changing in terms of ingredient formulations.
• • Get up to speed on emerging novel ingredients and the benefits they offer consumers.
• Consider whether you should be looking beyond your present product portfolio for emerging opportunities.
• •Prompt your marketing and NPD teams with product and marketing ideas from around the world.
• •Set goals and objectives for your company’s new product development pipeline.
Key Market Issues
• •Regulatory pressures on manufacturers are firmly in the direction of making food and drinks products healthier. Trends in food and drink ingredients labeling regulations are also becoming more restrictive.
• •In developed markets, as the proportion of consumers interested in natural and healthful food and drinks increases, so will sales of products with naturally nutritionally rich and quality calorie content.
• •In developed markets, concerns about natural and healthful ingredients will fit in with consumers concerns about food and drink ethics – increasingly, healthful will also mean ingredients that are responsibly sourced in terms of social and environmental sustainability.
• •The idea of more gourmet and exotic products will also chime with consumers’ increasing concerns for natural and healthful ingredients – the idea of having premium and/or novel nutritionally rich, quality calories will catch on.
• •The staying power of emerging, novel ingredients will largely depend on meeting consumer demands in terms of taste, provenance and efficacy. Key findings from this report
• ‘Natural’ was the top claim in food and drink product launches, with a share of 9.24% in 2008 rising to 10.03% in 2009.
• Between 2008 and 2009, soft drinks were the leading category in terms of their share (60.7% in 2009) of products launched with an innovative ingredient formulation, followed by confectionary.
• Manufacturers are driving bakery and cereal ingredient formulations forward by specifying provenance of key ingredients including wheat and garlic, and by specifying the genus of wheat varieties and of other key ingredients such as seeds.
• Probiotics remain a key ingredient theme in the dairy category and had a rising ingredient share in the period 2008-2009.
• A key theme in soft drink ingredient formulations between 2008 and 2009 was more natural ingredient formulations.
• One strategy used by manufacturers of confectionary products to offer benefits of calorie quality and nutritional value is fortification with vitamins and minerals.
Key questions answered
• What are the emerging ingredients trends across each of the major food and drinks categories?
• How are the major multi-national manufacturers responding to consumer demands for natural and healthful, quality calorie ingredients?
• What are the newly emerged novel ingredients and how are they being marketed?
• Which factors effect the commercial success of novel ingredients?
• How are longstanding, established ingredients in each of the major food and drinks categories doing in the light of the trend toward natural and healthful ingredients?
Table of contentsAbout the author
The emerging food and drinks ingredients market
Consumer and market drivers of emerging ingredients
Bakery and cereals
Other food and drinks categories
Chapter 1 The emerging food and drinks ingredients market
Definition of ingredients used in this report
Natural and artificial ingredients trends in the food and drinks market
The value of the natural food and drinks market
Key features of NPD
Category share of NPD
Leading regions in NPD 2007-2009
Products launched with an innovation rating
Innovative categories in terms of formulation
Important consumer groups for ingredients NPD
Key emerging ingredients within health and wellness areas over the next five years
Factors important for a new ingredient to achieve commercial success
Organizations influence on ingredients NPD
Structure of this report
Chapter 2 Consumer and market drivers of emerging ingredients
Labeling of food and drink ingredients
Health and wellness
Food and drinks ingredients safety: nutritional quality, allergies and intolerances
Food and drink allergies and intolerances
Skin health and beauty
Ethical food and drinks
Global travel, migration and novel and exotic ingredients
Individualization, gourmet and indulgence
Chapter 3 Bakery and cereals
Leading ingredients in bakery and cereals
Fast growing ingredients in bakery and cereals
New directions for wheat ingredient formulations
Product example: wheat in Kashi TLC Tasty Little Crackers All Natural Snack Crackers
Product example: wheat, honey and raw sugar cane in Kellogg's Nature's Pleasure
Product example: rye in Brinker Hamburger Bread
Product example: wild garlic in La Viva Knuspergebaeck Mit Wildem Baerlauch Und Bergkaese (Crunchy Crackers with
Wild Garlic and Mountain Cheese)
Seeds: an emerging ingredient trend
Product example: hemp, sunflower, sesame and flax seeds in Dr. Karg Bio Organic Crisp Bread
Product example: Black and white chia seeds in Pro Bar Fruition Snack Bars
Future trends in bakery and cereals ingredients
Chapter 4 Dairy
Leading ingredients in dairy
Fastest growing ingredients in dairy
Novel flavors in dairy products
Product example: green tea, tomato and carrot in Dairyland Alive Yogurt
Product example: pomegranate in Namyang Natural Start Vulgaris Fermented Milk
Targeting consumers through specialized ingredient formulations
Product example: ‘free from’ in Soy Free Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
Future trends in dairy ingredients
Chapter 5 Soft drinks
Leading ingredients in soft drinks
Leading ingredients losing share 2008-2009
Fastest growing ingredients in soft drinks
Product example: Botanical extracts in Firefly Fruit Drink with Botanical Extracts
Product example: organic botanical ingredients in Tizane 100% Organic Botanical Infusion Elderflower Beverage
Product example: organic ginkgo biloba in Cell-nique Organic Super Green Drink
Specification of ingredients: an emerging ingredient trend
Product example: white grape in BIO Synergy Beauty from Within Water
Product example: merlot, syrah and sauvignon blanc grapes in PureBlue SuperJuice
Product example: black cherry in North Land Black Cherry Goji Superfruits 100% Juice
Future trends in soft drinks ingredients
Chapter 6 Confectionery
Leading ingredients in confectionery
Leading ingredients in confectionery losing share
Fastest growing ingredients in confectionery
Product example: organic cocoa in Tohi Chocolat Bio
Product example: cranberry and apricots in Cadbury Dairy Milk
Product example: pomegranate and passion fruit in Honey Stingers Organic Energy Chews
Product example: organic lucuma and goji berries in Navitas Naturals Organic Superfood Chocolate Kit
Fortification: an emerging ingredient theme in confectionery
Product example: Vitamins and minerals in Frutels Acne Care Chocolate
Product example: vitamins and minerals in Atomic Energy Bites Original Energy Soft Chews
Future trends in confectionery ingredients
Chapter 7 Savory snacks
Leading ingredients in savory snacks
Fastest growing ingredients in savory snacks
Product example: toasted garlic in Stacy's Bagel Chips
Product example: lime and nuts in Living Intentions Gone Nuts! Gourmet Seasoned & Sprouted Nut Blends
Healthful ingredients: an emerging savory snack trend
Product example: Raw vegetables in RawStarz 100% Raw & Organic Chips
Product example: flavored seeds in Pumpkorn Organic Shelled Pumpkin Seeds
Future trends in savory snack ingredients
Chapter 8 Other food and drinks categories
Product example: Puerh green tea in Numi Organic Tea
Product example: Hibiscus in Socal Cleanse Organic Detox Tea
Fastest growing ingredients in hot drinks
Product example: Licorice in Kawa Taille de Guepe Activ'Plantes Functional Herb Infusion Tea
Product example: chrysanthemum in Vykasa Way of Life Ultra Premium Whole Leaf Tea
Future trends in hot drinks
Leading ingredients in ready meals
Product example: Einkorn wheat in Sonnentor Risonnos
Product example: organic corn in Glutenfreeda's Wheat Free Gluten Free Burritos
Fastest growing ingredients in ready meals
Product example: wheat noodles in Nagatanien Ramen Pasta
Product example: Portobella mushrooms in Crepini Cafe Frozen All Natural Crepes Handmade with Gourmet Filling
Future trends in ready meals
Chapter 9 Key players and conclusions
Most innovative manufacturers/brands in ingredients NPD
Wild Flavors Inc.
Future foods: emerging ingredients trends in food and drink
Bakery and cereals
Barriers to growth opportunities for emerging ingredients
Production costs of natural ingredients
Novelty and staying power
Food ethics verses exotics
Table of figures
Figure 1: Category Share of NPD, global, 2007-2009
Figure 2: Leading regions in share of NPD, 2007-2009
Figure 3: Please RANK in order the regions which currently lead in ingredients NPD now and in the next five years?
Figure 4: Innovative feature, of all products launched with an innovation rating, 2007-2009
Figure 5: Category share of innovative ingredient formulation, %, 2008-2009
Figure 6: Please rate how IMPORTANT you think the following consumer groups will be for ingredients NPD over the NEXT 5 years
Figure 7: Factors influencing the commercial success of new ingredients
Figure 8: Influence of organizations on current ingredients NPD
Figure 9: Key consumer and market drivers impacting upon trends in food and drinks ingredients
Figure 10: Please rate how IMPORTANT each of the following health areas will be in food and drinks NPD over the NEXT 5 years.
Figure 11: Glutenfreeda's Wheat Free Gluten Free Instant Oatmeal
Figure 12: Kellogg's Nature's Pleasure
Figure 13: Brinker Hamburger Bread
Figure 14: Knuspergebaeck Mit Wildem Baerlauch Und Bergkaese (Crunchy Crackers With Wild Garlic And Mountain Cheese)
Figure 15: Dr. Karg Bio Organic Crisp Bread
Figure 16: Fruition Snack Bars
Figure 17: Wallaby Organic Down Under Lots of Fruit Low fat Yogurt
Figure 18: Naturally Light Yogurt
Figure 19: Dairyland Alive Yogurt
Figure 20: Namyang Natural Start Vulgaris Fermented Milk
Figure 21: Soy Free Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
Figure 22: Kubus Play! Carrot & Fruit Drinks
Figure 23: Firefly Fruit Drink with Botanical Extracts
Figure 24: Tizane 100% Organic Botanical Infusion Elderflower Beverage
Figure 25: Cell-nique Organic Super Green Drink
Figure 26: PureBlue SuperJuice
Figure 27: Tru Chocolate
Figure 28: Tohi Chocolat Bio Organic Dark Chocolate Bar
Figure 29: Cadbury Dairy Milk Cranberry and Granola and Apricot Crumble Crunch
Figure 30: Honey Stingers Organic Energy Chews
Figure 31: Navitas Naturals Organic Superfood Chocolate Kit
Figure 32: Frutels Acne Care Chocolate
Figure 33: Atomic Energy Bites Original Energy Soft Chews
Figure 34: Blue Ginger Black Sesame and Sea Salt Multi-grain Brown Rice Chips
Figure 35: Stacy’s Bagel Chips
Figure 36: Gone Nuts! Gourmet Seasoned and Sprouted Nut Blends
Figure 37: Pumpkorn Organic Shelled Pumpkin Seeds
Figure 38: Numi Organic Tea
Figure 39: Socal Cleanse Organic Detox Tea
Figure 40: Kawa Taille de Guepe Activ'Plantes Functional Herb Infusion Tea
Figure 41: Vykasa Way Of Life Ultra Premium Whole Leaf Tea
Figure 42: Sonnentor Risonnos
Figure 43: Glutenfreeda's Wheat Free Gluten Free Burritos
Figure 44: Crepini Cafe Frozen All Natural Crepes
Figure 45: Natural ingredients in Nestlé Milkybar
Table of tables
Table 1: The 10 fastest growing claims in new products launched (%), 2008-2009
Table 2: Value of the US and European organic food and drink market, by country, $bn, 2000- 2010
Table 3: The natural (excluding organic) food and drinks market in Europe and US, by key product categories ($bn), 2000-2010
Table 4: Key emerging ingredients within health and wellness
Table 5: Per capita fruit consumption, European countries and the US, kilograms/person, 2001-2011
Table 6: Market value for the allergen and intolerance food market in Europe and US ($m), 2001-2011
Table 7: Estimated prevalence of atopic dermatitis across seven major markets (‘000s), 2005
Table 8: Oral beauty supplements market value in Europe and US ($m), 2001-2011
Table 9: Prevalence of cardiovascular disease in the 7 major markets (‘000), 2005
Table 10: Number of overweight and obese adults (15+ years old) by country (millions), 2002- 2012
Table 11: Estimated prevalence of IBS in seven major markets (‘000s), 2008–10
Table 12: Consumer survey: the extent to which Europeans feel they have 'lots of energy'
Table 13: Prevalence of Alzheimer’s disease across the seven major markets (‘000s), 2007-09
Table 14: Top twenty leading ingredients in bakery and cereals, ranked by share, 2008-2009
Table 15: Top twenty fastest growing ingredients in bakery and cereals, 2008-2009
Table 16: Top twenty leading ingredients in dairy, ranked by share, 2008-2009
Table 17: Top twenty fastest growing ingredients in dairy, ranked by growth, 2008-2009
Table 18: Top twenty leading ingredients in soft drinks, ranked by share, 2008-2009
Table 19: Top twenty fastest growing ingredients in soft drinks, ranked by growth, 2008-2009
Table 20: Top 20 leading ingredients in confectionery, by share, 2008-2009
Table 21: Top 20 fastest growing ingredients in confectionery, 2008-2009
Table 22: Top 20 leading ingredients in savory snacks, by share, 2008-2009
Table 23: Top 20 fastest growing ingredients in savory snacks, 2008-2009
Table 24: Top 10 leading ingredients in hot drinks, by share, 2008-2009
Table 25: Top 10 fastest growing ingredients in hot drinks, 2008-2009
Table 26: Top 10 leading ingredients in ready meals, ranked by share, 2008-2009
Table 27: Top 10 fastest growing ingredients in ready meals, 2008-2009
Related research categories
By sector: General drinks
The just-drinks office is currently: Open
Office opening hours
The office is closed during weekends.
Current time at just-drinks headquarters: 1:15pm (Wednesday, 22 May 2013)