Australia Cider Market Insights 2013
Australia Cider Market Insights 2013
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type. Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2013 Australia Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Australian cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Like many cider markets, the Australian market was relatively under developed until recent years. SABMiller-owned CUB remains the largest player, but there has been substantial competitive pressure. The cider category exhibited good, double-digit growth.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Cider is becoming an increasingly important part of consumers' regular purchases. While it is generally associated with specific occasions, with a focus on the summer months and on outdoor drinking occasions.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Australian Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Australian cider market.
This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2012.
This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non- refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
As the cider market matures, a super premium category is starting to emerge.
Despite several years of good growth, penetration is below rates seen in the UK, Ireland and New Zealand, which have similar beer consumption rates and cultural traits to Australia.
The poor summers of 2010-11 and 2011-12 had a negative impact on Australia’s overall market for long alcoholic beverages (beer/cider/FABs).
The tax system currently heavily favors ciders over FABs and beers.
Super premium is emerging as a segment because of two trends; the desire for craft ciders made from natural ingredients including fresh juice with no added sugar and the desire for ciders with complex, non-apple fruit flavorings.
The outlook for cider in Australia remains positive, with growth in 2013 expected to continue at high double-digit rates.
The leading brand in the Australian cider market is still Strongbow but it has not kept pace with market growth.
The second-largest brandin 2012 was Rekorderlig, a Swedish import, distributed by small independent distributor. Its sales more than doubled between 2011 and 2012.
The third-largest brand in the market, is Lion’s Tooheys Extra Dry 5 Seeds. It has been the fastest growing mainstream brand in recent years.
SABMiller-owned CUB remains the largest player and its cider brands have been performing well compared to its beer brands, but there has been substantial competitive pressure. This has come not just from CUB’s traditional beer market rival, Lion, but also from new players shipping or licensing major brands from overseas.
Section 1 Market Update
• Market Size
• Market Value
• Distribution 2012
• Current and Emerging Trends
• Imports and Exports
• Top 10 Cider Brands – Volume, 2010-2012
• Top 10 International Premium and Super premium Cider Brands – Volume, 2011-2012
• Licensed Brand Owners and Licensees
• Brand Analysis
• Private Label/Private Label Producers
• New Products Activity
• Chart – Leading Brewers/Imports, 2012
• Market Structure
• Cider Producers/Importers
• Chart – Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2012
• Packaging Trends
• Chart – Distribution by Channel, 2012
• Chart – Consumption by Price Segment, 2012
• Market Valuation & Pricing
• Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
• Distribution Trends
LEGISLATION AND TAXATION TABLES
• Table– Taxation Base
• Table - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
• Table – Legal Controls on Cider
• Table – Tax Burden on Cider subject to WET
• Table – Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2011-2013
• Table – Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-2013
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Litres, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - % Share, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Growth, 2002-2013F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Litres, 2002-2013F
• Alcoholic Beverage Consumption - Litres of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2002-2013F
• Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2002-2013F
• Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2009-2013F.
• Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Type, 2009-2013F
• Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2009-2013F
• Cider All Trademarks, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012
• Cider Brands by Type, 2008-2012
• Cider Imported Brands by Origin, 2008-2012
• Cider Trademark Owners, 2008-2012
• Cider Local Operators, 2008-2012
• Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2008-2012
• Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refill ability/Type/Pack/Size, 2009-2013F
• Cider Distribution: On vs. Off Premise, 2009-2013F
Section 2 Brewer Profiles
• Carlton & United Breweries
• Carlton & United Breweries Brand List
• Carlton & United Breweries Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
• Lion Full Brand List
• Lion Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
MINOR CIDER COMPANIES
• Drinkworks (DB Breweries)
• Red Island
• Suntory Australia
Beer and Cider Attributes Definitions
List of Tables
Table 1: Data Revisions Summary
Table 2: Cider Key Facts
Table 3: Top 10 Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
Table 4: Top 10 International Premium and Superpremium Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
Table 5: Licensed Brand Owners and Licensees
Table 6: Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
Table 7: - Taxation Base
Table 8: - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
Table 9: - Legal Controls on Cider
Table 10: - Tax Burden on Cider subject to WET
Table 11: Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2011-2013
Table 12: Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-2013
Table 13: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Litres Per Capita, 2002-2013F
Table 14: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Per Capita % Share, 2002-2013F
Table 15: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Per Capita Growth, 2003-2013F
Table 16: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Liters, 2002-2013F
Table 17: Average Beverage Consumption - Liters of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2002-2013F
Table 18: Cider Production/Trade/Consumption, 2005-2013F
Table 19: Cider Production/Trade/Consumption - Growth, 2005-2013F
Table 20: Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2002-2013F
Table 21: Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
Table 22: Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2009-2013F
Table 23: Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2009-2013F
Table 24: Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2009-2013F
Table 25: Cider Consumption by Type, 2009-2013F
Table 26: Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2009-2013F
Table 27: Cider All Trademarks, 2008-2012
Table 28: Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2008-2012 .
Table 29: Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2008-2012
Table 30: Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012
Table 31: Cider Brands by Type, 2008-2012
Table 32: Imported Brands by Origin, 2008-2012
Table 33: Cider Licensed Brands, 2008-2012
Table 34: Cider Private Label Brands, 2012-2012
Table 35: Cider Trademark Owners, 2008-2012
Table 36: Cider Local Operators, 2008-2012
Table 37: Cider leading Brewers/Importers, 2008-2012
Table 38: Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refillability/Pack/Size, 2009-2013F
Table 39: Cider Distribution: On vs Off Premise, 2009-2013F
Table 40: Carlton & United Breweries Cider Brand List
Table 41: Carlton & United Breweries Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 42: Lion Full Brand List
Table 43: Lion Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 44: Company Drinkworks (DB Breweries)
Table 45: Company Red Island
Table 46: Company Suntory Australia.
List of Figures
Figure 1: Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2012
Figure 2: Cider Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2012
Figure 3: Cider Distribution by Channel, 2012
Figure 4: Cider Consumption by Price Segment, 2012