September 2010 Management Briefing - Innovation in the Drinks Industry
This month's management briefing for just-drinks' members looks in depth at how innovation is benefiting the drinks industry around the world.
Drinks companies, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, have targeted their efforts at the developing markets of the world in recent years. Not only has the trend reaped rewards in terms of sales, but multinationals have been introduced to drinks types and flavours that are new to them.
A little healthy competition can drive innovation – and often pays off for those who think outside the box. The beverage industry is no exception, and drinks industry awards continue to recognise some of the industry’s most creative ideas.
The present difficult economic conditions in Europe, North America and Japan are not hugely encouraging for promoting innovation or for the spending of large sums of money on research by drinks manufacturers. It may be a little different for leading brands such as GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Coca-Cola, and Pepsi, but even these are changing their approach.
The global carbonated soft drinks market is not the most obvious sector to go seeking innovation in. But as a new report published by just-drinks argues, flavour innovation is expected to be a major driver within the global carbonated beverages market, as consumers demand greater variety in their drinks.
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- Japan and the global soft drinks race
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report