BRIEFING: Hard discounter strategies and major players in the UK
In 2000, retail market researchers at Verdict called them 'Continental discounters', while they are known in the UK as the discount grocers. Whatever their nickname, the likes of Aldi, Lidl and Netto are all renowned for their low prices, which has generated plenty of support around the world. Hard discounters in the UK have had it tougher than in their country of origin - Germany - and many other parts of Europe where the format was quickly received and accepted into the mass grocery retail (MGR) sector. This month's briefing takes a look at the major players and reviews the latest sales data and expansion plans from Aldi, Lidl and Netto. The briefing highlights best-practice strategies that these players are taking in order to increase market share. Adopting strategies such as private-label NPD, building on economic concerns and becoming more fashionable will ensure the discounters are here to stay for now.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?