The World Whiskies Conference 2010
Chris Brook-Carter reports from this year's World Whiskies Conference
Chris Brook-Carter is on his way home from this year's World Whiskies Conference, returning, as he arrived, by train thanks to the now-infamous ash cloud. Seeing as it's a five-hour journey, he's got plenty of time to ruminate on what, historically, is a key date in the global whisky diary.
Almost a third of the Scotch whisky industry believes that the current discounting and promotional environment in Europe is unsustainable, according to a just-drinks survey.
Well, you couldn't do this on an aeroplane. Here I am on the train up to Glasgow for this year's World Whiskies Conference, writing up a pre-show blog. The wonders of technology and Iceland's geology are bringing me to you live from the Northumbria countryside.
Global exports of Scotch whisky reached record levels last year, according to recent figures, despite a drag in the Asia region.
- Diageo chief admits "tougher than expected" year
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Will Diageo seize the day as "nadir" reached?
- Molson Coors CEO exit - Mega-Merger on hold?
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Belvédère chairman to step down
- Diageo boosts exec committee
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Remy Cointreau names liqueurs & spirits CEO