Round-Up - Mexico's Beer Market Ruling
After a three-year investigation, Mexico's competition authorities announced the results of its probe into allegations of monopolistic practices in the country's brewing sector. Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev-owned Grupo Modelo seem satisfied, but the complainant - SABMiller - less so. Read just-drinks' full round-up of coverage here
Mexico's competition watchdog has handed down its resolution to SABMiller's charges of monopolistic practices in the country's brewing sector.
Grupo Modelo is likely to be worse affected than its rival Heineken by the opening up of Mexico's beer market, according to an analyst.
SABMiller subsidiary, Miller Trading Company, has hit out at Mexico's competition authorities arguing its settlement with two rival brewers does not go far enough and still leaves the country's beer market “anti-competitive”.
Just how good are Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev at sticking to their commitments? That's the question SABMiller will be asking itself this week after Mexico's competition authorities finally answered the brewer's long-standing plea to review its rivals' alleged monopolising of the country's beer market.
Heineken's ability to profit from FEMSA Cerveza could be weakened after SABMiller succeeded in persuading Mexico's competition authority to consider changing the rules of the game in the country's beer market.
SABMiller has sparked a fresh Government investigation into "monopolistic practices" in Mexico's beer industry, but analysts believe the move is unlikely to damage leading brewers FEMSA Cerveza and Grupo Modelo.
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research