Round-Up - Mexico's Beer Market Ruling
After a three-year investigation, Mexico's competition authorities announced the results of its probe into allegations of monopolistic practices in the country's brewing sector. Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev-owned Grupo Modelo seem satisfied, but the complainant - SABMiller - less so. Read just-drinks' full round-up of coverage here
Mexico's competition watchdog has handed down its resolution to SABMiller's charges of monopolistic practices in the country's brewing sector.
Grupo Modelo is likely to be worse affected than its rival Heineken by the opening up of Mexico's beer market, according to an analyst.
SABMiller subsidiary, Miller Trading Company, has hit out at Mexico's competition authorities arguing its settlement with two rival brewers does not go far enough and still leaves the country's beer market “anti-competitive”.
Just how good are Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev at sticking to their commitments? That's the question SABMiller will be asking itself this week after Mexico's competition authorities finally answered the brewer's long-standing plea to review its rivals' alleged monopolising of the country's beer market.
Heineken's ability to profit from FEMSA Cerveza could be weakened after SABMiller succeeded in persuading Mexico's competition authority to consider changing the rules of the game in the country's beer market.
SABMiller has sparked a fresh Government investigation into "monopolistic practices" in Mexico's beer industry, but analysts believe the move is unlikely to damage leading brewers FEMSA Cerveza and Grupo Modelo.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts