Comment - Spirits - Cognac
By: Richard Woodard
Richard Woodard's take on the International Cognac Summit.
Cognac has caught the eye of high-profile bartenders around the world, but producers need to add a little more style to their substance if they are to win over new, cocktail-loving consumers, argues Richard Woodard following a visit to the International Cognac Summit.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has significantly raised its marketing spend on Courvoisier Cognac in the UK this year, in a sign that the firm has more confidence in the market.
Weaker Cognac sales caused French spirits exports to fall significantly in 2009, according to trade body Fédération des Exportateurs de Vins et Spiritueux (FEVS).
Courvoisier, the Cognac arm of Beam Global Spirits & Wine, remains cautious on talk of an economic recovery in its key US market, but the group is increasingly upbeat about the UK, Russia and Asia.
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- The global tailwinds behind Heineken - Analysis
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends