Comment - Spirits - Cognac
By: Richard Woodard
Richard Woodard's take on the International Cognac Summit.
Cognac has caught the eye of high-profile bartenders around the world, but producers need to add a little more style to their substance if they are to win over new, cocktail-loving consumers, argues Richard Woodard following a visit to the International Cognac Summit.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has significantly raised its marketing spend on Courvoisier Cognac in the UK this year, in a sign that the firm has more confidence in the market.
Weaker Cognac sales caused French spirits exports to fall significantly in 2009, according to trade body Fédération des Exportateurs de Vins et Spiritueux (FEVS).
Courvoisier, the Cognac arm of Beam Global Spirits & Wine, remains cautious on talk of an economic recovery in its key US market, but the group is increasingly upbeat about the UK, Russia and Asia.
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- Whisk(e)y leads vodka in US, but for how long?
- Wine in the UK: Tell Us Something We Don't Know
- Sustainability in Spirits - Part I
- Will Craft Brewers be Tempted by Private Equity?
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote
- Diageo settles Explorers Club trademark dispute
- A-B InBev shakes up Euro units, UK head steps down
- Bacardi lifts curtain on Bombay Sapphire distiller
- Diageo unveils sixth Johnnie Walker House in Asia