Editor's Viewpoint - The London Wine Fair 2014: Time to Deliver
The London Wine Fair opens today and runs until Wednesday
Today (2 June) is the opening day of the London Wine Fair. After more than a year in redevelopment, the former London International Wine Fair has refocused its efforts and moved its location.
As the UK became less important to wine producers in the last six years – thanks in part to the country's economic downturn and the rise in potential of emerging markets - the LIWF struggled not only to attract exhibitors but also to fill the vast space of the ExCeL centre in east London. At the same time, murmurs of discontent from attendees – centred primarily on ExCeL's location and perceived failings – grew louder.
It was only a matter of time, then, before drastic changes had to be introduced. Sure enough, in May last year, organisers Brintex announced a name change for the exhibition and a return to a more central location at Olympia in west London after 12 years out east.
As the doors open this morning, Brintex will be hoping that its efforts will pay off.
The time for talking, then, is over for the London Wine Fair: Will the event stand up to scrutiny, or will it wilt under the strength of the spotlight?
We'll know in about 72 hours time.
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research