Editor's Viewpoint - The London Wine Fair 2014: Time to Deliver
The London Wine Fair opens today and runs until Wednesday
Today (2 June) is the opening day of the London Wine Fair. After more than a year in redevelopment, the former London International Wine Fair has refocused its efforts and moved its location.
As the UK became less important to wine producers in the last six years – thanks in part to the country's economic downturn and the rise in potential of emerging markets - the LIWF struggled not only to attract exhibitors but also to fill the vast space of the ExCeL centre in east London. At the same time, murmurs of discontent from attendees – centred primarily on ExCeL's location and perceived failings – grew louder.
It was only a matter of time, then, before drastic changes had to be introduced. Sure enough, in May last year, organisers Brintex announced a name change for the exhibition and a return to a more central location at Olympia in west London after 12 years out east.
As the doors open this morning, Brintex will be hoping that its efforts will pay off.
The time for talking, then, is over for the London Wine Fair: Will the event stand up to scrutiny, or will it wilt under the strength of the spotlight?
We'll know in about 72 hours time.
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Carlsberg "most likely" to buy Grolsch, Peroni
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- A-B InBev embroiled in Caribbean "poison-pill" row
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts