Editor's Viewpoint - The London Wine Fair 2014: Time to Deliver
The London Wine Fair opens today and runs until Wednesday
Today (2 June) is the opening day of the London Wine Fair. After more than a year in redevelopment, the former London International Wine Fair has refocused its efforts and moved its location.
As the UK became less important to wine producers in the last six years – thanks in part to the country's economic downturn and the rise in potential of emerging markets - the LIWF struggled not only to attract exhibitors but also to fill the vast space of the ExCeL centre in east London. At the same time, murmurs of discontent from attendees – centred primarily on ExCeL's location and perceived failings – grew louder.
It was only a matter of time, then, before drastic changes had to be introduced. Sure enough, in May last year, organisers Brintex announced a name change for the exhibition and a return to a more central location at Olympia in west London after 12 years out east.
As the doors open this morning, Brintex will be hoping that its efforts will pay off.
The time for talking, then, is over for the London Wine Fair: Will the event stand up to scrutiny, or will it wilt under the strength of the spotlight?
We'll know in about 72 hours time.
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends