Editor's Viewpoint - The London Wine Fair 2014: Time to Deliver
The London Wine Fair opens today and runs until Wednesday
Today (2 June) is the opening day of the London Wine Fair. After more than a year in redevelopment, the former London International Wine Fair has refocused its efforts and moved its location.
As the UK became less important to wine producers in the last six years – thanks in part to the country's economic downturn and the rise in potential of emerging markets - the LIWF struggled not only to attract exhibitors but also to fill the vast space of the ExCeL centre in east London. At the same time, murmurs of discontent from attendees – centred primarily on ExCeL's location and perceived failings – grew louder.
It was only a matter of time, then, before drastic changes had to be introduced. Sure enough, in May last year, organisers Brintex announced a name change for the exhibition and a return to a more central location at Olympia in west London after 12 years out east.
As the doors open this morning, Brintex will be hoping that its efforts will pay off.
The time for talking, then, is over for the London Wine Fair: Will the event stand up to scrutiny, or will it wilt under the strength of the spotlight?
We'll know in about 72 hours time.
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom