Editor's Viewpoint - The London Wine Fair 2014: Time to Deliver
The London Wine Fair opens today and runs until Wednesday
Today (2 June) is the opening day of the London Wine Fair. After more than a year in redevelopment, the former London International Wine Fair has refocused its efforts and moved its location.
As the UK became less important to wine producers in the last six years – thanks in part to the country's economic downturn and the rise in potential of emerging markets - the LIWF struggled not only to attract exhibitors but also to fill the vast space of the ExCeL centre in east London. At the same time, murmurs of discontent from attendees – centred primarily on ExCeL's location and perceived failings – grew louder.
It was only a matter of time, then, before drastic changes had to be introduced. Sure enough, in May last year, organisers Brintex announced a name change for the exhibition and a return to a more central location at Olympia in west London after 12 years out east.
As the doors open this morning, Brintex will be hoping that its efforts will pay off.
The time for talking, then, is over for the London Wine Fair: Will the event stand up to scrutiny, or will it wilt under the strength of the spotlight?
We'll know in about 72 hours time.
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research