just the facts - Japanese drinks giants awaken
Destocking and economic turmoil aside, 2009 must surely be the year when Japan's latent drinks giants seized their chance to make themselves heard on the international scene.
Here are the major deals that have taken place.
- Only today (18 December), Kirin further expanded its Asia Pacific presence after San Miguel Brewery agreed a deal to buy out San Miguel International Brewing.
- Earlier this year, Kirin acquired a 48% stake in San Miguel Brewery.
- It also secured full control of Australian brewer Lion Nathan.
- The group also raised its stake in Shanghai Jinjiang Kirin Beverage & Food.
- On the home market, Kirin has signed a JV deal with Diageo.
- It is also in merger talks with big rival Suntory.
- Meanwhile, Suntory this month signed a deal to buy control of ASC Fine Wines in China.
- It has also bought up Orangina Schweppes.
- At the start of the year, Suntory bought Danone's Frucor drinks business, and followed this up with Simply Squeezed in New Zealand.
- Moving to Asahi Breweries and the group has this month said it will spend $4.5bn on foreign acquisitions in the next three years.
- It has already bought Cadbury's Australian soft drinks business.
- While in beer, Asahi has bought a 20% stake in Chinese brewing giant Tsingtao from A-B InBev.
- Sapporo, the smallest of the four Japanese rivals, has also been the quietest in 2009. But, the group joined the overseas game this month by agreeing to acquire a controlling stake in Kronenbourg Vietnam.
- At home, it bought a stake in Japanese food and drink company Pokka.
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends