Editor's Viewpoint - Diageo: It's all in the timing
Diageo announced Sheriff's appointment today
I'll admit to being a little perplexed following the latest announcement by Diageo: Not so much by the announcement itself, but more by its timing.
Earlier today (26 June), Diageo said it has created the position of global communications director, with Vickie Sherrif set to take up the role later this year. (I say 'created', it's more a case of 're-created' after the position was vacated in early-2012 when Stephen Doherty left to join Barclays).
This news comes barely two weeks after the firm cut around 200 head office and regional roles as it began its previously-announced cost-saving programme.
While I don't doubt the calibre of the appointment - Sheriff, after all, was previously the UK Prime Minister’s deputy official spokesperson - I can't help thinking the timing of this announcement may gall some former Diageo employees.
Diageo has clearly not been in much of a rush to fill Doherty's shoes: Unveiling his replacement so soon after cutting its head office head count, however, suggests the company may not yet have mastered the art of timing.
Diageo plc - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...read more
Diageo plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and...
Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages