Editor's Viewpoint - Diageo: It's all in the timing
Diageo announced Sheriff's appointment today
I'll admit to being a little perplexed following the latest announcement by Diageo: Not so much by the announcement itself, but more by its timing.
Earlier today (26 June), Diageo said it has created the position of global communications director, with Vickie Sherrif set to take up the role later this year. (I say 'created', it's more a case of 're-created' after the position was vacated in early-2012 when Stephen Doherty left to join Barclays).
This news comes barely two weeks after the firm cut around 200 head office and regional roles as it began its previously-announced cost-saving programme.
While I don't doubt the calibre of the appointment - Sheriff, after all, was previously the UK Prime Minister’s deputy official spokesperson - I can't help thinking the timing of this announcement may gall some former Diageo employees.
Diageo has clearly not been in much of a rush to fill Doherty's shoes: Unveiling his replacement so soon after cutting its head office head count, however, suggests the company may not yet have mastered the art of timing.
The clamour in recent years to enter the Irish whiskey category suggests that the segment is poised to become the next big thing. But, with one brand dominating the sector massively, are the prospects...
Diageo has announced two regional director replacements at its Global Travel and Middle East (GTME) unit. ...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends