Editor's Viewpoint - Becherovka: Is Stock an Option?
Stock Spirits may struggle to get the green light for a Becherovka buy
Reports this week that Pernod Ricard is looking to offload Czech liqueur brand Becherovka are on the money. Reuters' story on Tuesday (1 April) was not an April Fool: I have heard that Pernod is considering its options on the brand, which is operated by Jan Becher-Karlovka Becherovka in Czech.
Naturally, Pernod is not commenting on the matter.
This is not necessarily a new development, however. I've been told that Pernod has made similar moves in the past, as part of its strategy to hive off brands that it does not consider to be core to its operations. The list of brands that the company has divested - as it looks to ease its post-Vin & Sprit purchase debt burden - is a long one; the Becherovka news, then, is not surprising.
One point in the Reuters report warrants querying, however. Unnamed sources claimed that “Stock Spirits, SPI Group and other eastern European-based interests” may be interested.
In Czech's bitters market, Stock Spirits leads the way with its namesake brand: According to The IWSR, Stock Bitters sold 408.3m nine-litre cases in 2012. Becherovka was second, with volumes of 369.3m cases.
Combined, the two account for around 73% of the bitters category in Czech.
I'd imagine the country's anti-trust authorities might have something to say about a swoop by Stock.
The Future of the Spirits Market in Czech Republic to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape
"The Future of the Spirits Market in Czech Republic to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company r...read more
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research