Editor's Viewpoint – Guinness – The Power of 'No'
The UK-based among you may have witnessed the Guinness takeover of the ad-break in The Jonathan Ross Show late last month. Reaction to the three-minute mock-talk show has been overwhelmingly grim.
The ad might also serve as a lesson to brand owner Diageo.
Here is a brand with a formidable reputation when it comes to marketing.
Remember this ad?
And, who can forget this multi award-winning outing?
So, it's alarming that an ad like last month's wasn't clocked by Diageo as being a stinker before it hit the screen. Have a look for yourself.
You may recall my views earlier this year on Arthur's Day, the annual shindig for Guinness that has, in my opinion, outstayed its welcome. Couple that with this ad, and it seems to be the case that someone at Diageo is afraid to say 'no'.
In the third part of this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper reviews the environmental sustainability of three of the world's biggest brewers: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Diageo....
I'm calling it, people. Today is the day that I feel confident enough to conclude that the China 'crisis' is not a blip....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends