Editor's Viewpoint - Beer - Is Heineken Trapped in a Russian Winter?
Exactly how tough going is Russia's beer market?
Is Heineken being a bit too tough on itself?
In what several analysts have described as a downbeat conference call yesterday – and, considering the Q3 trading update earlier in the day warned of a drop in FY profits, the glum tone was understandable – CFO Rene Hooft Graafland described the beer market in Russia thus:
“Very, very difficult.”
He then proceeded to say that he expects that the market will be down by 10% over the whole of 2013.
Now, the brewers operating in Russia have certainly had a tough time of late, as advertising restrictions, a clampdown on temporary retail outlets and rising taxes have made the road a bumpy one.
But, down by 10%?
Earlier this year, market leader Carlsberg issued guidance that Russia will come in down this year, but only by mid-single digits.
Is Heineken's Russian glass half-empty?
We'll know for sure when Carlsberg delivers its latest results on 13 November.
As we start our annual series of management briefings that focus on environmental sustainability, Ben Cooper looks at the importance of integrating the issue into all aspect of a company's operations ...
In the second part of this month's management briefing, which shines the light on the importance of environmental sustainability in the brewing industry, Ben Cooper considers the impact of stakeholder...
In the third part of this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper reviews the environmental sustainability of three of the world's biggest brewers: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Diageo....
The penultimate part of this month's management briefing sees Ben Cooper continue his review of the environmental efforts of the larger brewers. Here, he looks at Heineken, Molson Coors and SABMiller....
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- What's in store for Super Bowl 5 - Focus
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research