Editor's Viewpoint – Ballantine's and the Whisky Emoji
Caution: Generation Emoji at work
You do know what an emoji is, right?
The low-key, tongue-in-cheek push has clearly been designed to appeal to the younger whisky drinkers out there – well, those who know what an emoji actually is, at least. Consumers are encouraged to visit a Ballantine's-headed landing page and tweet photos of themselves demanding the creation of an emoji that symbolises whisky.
Now, I'm no aged, traditional purist when it comes to Scotch: covering the business side of the drinks industry reminds me on a daily basis of the importance of engaging with the younger consumers that are coming through. We Generation X-ers, the baby-boomers before us and the millenials after us won't be around for as long as Generation Emoji. So, it's good to see Pernod look to engage with the digital-savvy, albeit – in this instance - in this light-hearted way.
Where this does come unstuck for me is that - at 42 - I struggle to engage in any way with emojis. I hate "LOL", I shudder when I hear “like” being used as a sentence break, and I swear more at my 'phone than I do at any other object – inanimate or otherwise.
Does this new campaign, then, signify that Ballantine's is a whisky that is no longer for the likes of me? Or, is Pernod hoping I'll step up to Chivas Regal now?
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Pernod Ricard SA (RI) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by Globa...
Pernod Ricard has started selling its Indian whiskies in sub-Saharan Africa as the company looks to double sales in the region over the next four years....
The goal of Pernod Ricard is being one of the leading companies in wine and spirits sales in Mexico and becoming sometime in the future the number one company in the category. Pernod Ricard’s strategy...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research