Editor's Viewpoint – Ballantine's and the Whisky Emoji
Caution: Generation Emoji at work
You do know what an emoji is, right?
The low-key, tongue-in-cheek push has clearly been designed to appeal to the younger whisky drinkers out there – well, those who know what an emoji actually is, at least. Consumers are encouraged to visit a Ballantine's-headed landing page and tweet photos of themselves demanding the creation of an emoji that symbolises whisky.
Now, I'm no aged, traditional purist when it comes to Scotch: covering the business side of the drinks industry reminds me on a daily basis of the importance of engaging with the younger consumers that are coming through. We Generation X-ers, the baby-boomers before us and the millenials after us won't be around for as long as Generation Emoji. So, it's good to see Pernod look to engage with the digital-savvy, albeit – in this instance - in this light-hearted way.
Where this does come unstuck for me is that - at 42 - I struggle to engage in any way with emojis. I hate "LOL", I shudder when I hear “like” being used as a sentence break, and I swear more at my 'phone than I do at any other object – inanimate or otherwise.
Does this new campaign, then, signify that Ballantine's is a whisky that is no longer for the likes of me? Or, is Pernod hoping I'll step up to Chivas Regal now?
Pernod Ricard has started selling its Indian whiskies in sub-Saharan Africa as the company looks to double sales in the region over the next four years....
Here's a look at what was happening on this day in......
Earlier today (23 July), the International Wine & Spirit Competition released the list of full winners for spirits for 2015. Here is the list of trophy winners....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends