Comment - Diageo Eyes Stock Spirits Lift
Diageo is in the race to acquire Stock Spirits
Diageo is in the running to acquire Stock Spirits from Oaktree Capital Management. just-drinks learnt today (14 March). However, the drinks giant is up against several private equity outfits and a bidding war could send the price beyond the company's fiscal red lines.
The rationale for Diageo's move on Stock is similar to that for the its recent deal to acquire Turkey's leading spirits producer, Mey Içki, for US$2.1bn. Diageo, spurred on by declines in some of its key European markets, notably Spain and Greece, is keen to expand more quickly in emerging markets.
"Bolt-on deals in the developing world are very important to us," Diageo's CEO, Paul Walsh, told journalists at the company's half-year results conference.
The Sunday Times reported that Diageo has bid GBP500m (US$804m) for Stock, which is the leading spirits player by volume in Poland and Czech and the number one vodka seller in Italy. Its Czysta de Luxe brand sold around 6.4m nine-litre cases in 2010, driving the group to double-digit rises in sales and profits for the year.
Just as with Mey Içki, though, it is the potential distribution platform, rather than Stock's brands, that is fuelling Diageo's desire.
The difference between Mey Içki and Stock lies in valuation. Diageo pushed the boundaries of its oft-touted fiscal discipline in a vigorous pursuit of Mey Içki, which could unlock Turkey's promising drinks market after six long years of tax-related stand-off with the authorities.
By comparision, while the opportunity to bag Stock is real, there is much less sense of do-or-die from Diageo. Oaktree's asking price - thought to be in the region of US$1bn - may prove prohibitive.
Diageo has digested its deal to acquire Turkey's leading spirits company, Mey Icki, and the move gives it important new weight in Europe....
Diageo has kissed and made up with analysts after producing a solid set of full-year results and some pretty bullish guidance on years to come. Here, just-drinks takes you through the market reaction....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research