Editor's Viewpoint - Pernod Ricard: All eyes on Alex Ricard
Alexandre Ricard will become CEO of Pernod Ricard in January
I am en-route to Cork this morning, to attend Pernod Ricard's annual Capital Markets Day. Tomorrow, I will join a wealth of analysts at a series of presentations by the company's leadership team. As well as Jameson (this is Ireland), we will hear from the heads of Pernod's operations in the US, Eastern Europe & Russia, sub-Saharan Africa, Brazil and Japan.
Also, CEO Pierre Pringuet will be making his last appearance at this event, with his replacement, Alexandre Ricard, set to joint-host proceedings.
You may remember I interviewed Ricard at last year's CMD in Beijing. Back then, we were too far out from the leadership change in January next year for me to quiz him on his intentions. This week, however, we expect to see him begin to venture out of his shell somewhat.
Ricard has already won over some of the analyst community. “We remain admirers of chairman/CEO-elect Alex Ricard,” says Ian Shackleton from Nomura in a note this week. “(He) is already becoming more visible in the business.
“We regard him as the driving force behind much of the innovation/digital strategy set out at the January Innovation Day, as well as being instrumental in the new cost-cutting programme (announced in February).”
Indeed, his length of service with Pernod - as well as heading up both Pernod Ricard Asia Duty Free and the company's Irish Distillers division, he has also been group MD for distribution - suggests he has had plenty of time to formulate his CEO plans.
Cometh the hour, then, cometh the man?
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends