Comment - Soft Drinks & Water - A Bit of Corbett
By: Richard Corbett
Each month, Richard Corbett casts his eye over the soft drinks & water categories.
The theory goes that, as times grew tighter, private label companies were well-placed to reap the harvest. Cott Corp, however, showed that this was not as straightforward a theory as one would believe. Richard Corbett looks at how the company has performed and what it has done to turn around its fortunes.
The soft drinks industry has responded with some ire to a study from the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University in Boston, US.
The concept of a drink that can give you an instant hit of energy was always going to be a winning formula.
I recall the story of a well-known racehorse trainer, out on his gallops one spring morning watching his string of horses when a rainbow appeared. One of the stable lads, riding a particularly well thought of horse, shouted across to the trainer telling him that if he looked behind the rainbow he would find a pot of gold. "You idiot" the trainer retorted back. "You don’t need to look behind a rainbow for a pot of gold. You’re sitting on one." I think that Nestle Waters has looked at its stable of brands and realised it too may already be sitting on its own pot of gold.
Will the next innovation in at-home carbonation prove to be the silver bullet for The Coca-Cola Co? Richard Corbett considers the prospects for the Keurig Kold.
This month, Richard Corbett looks at the Middle East, a region that offers a wealth of opportunities to the soft drinks and bottled water category.
Earlier this month, AG Barr announced its purchase of the cocktail and syrups producer, Funkin. Richard Corbett looks at the deal and considers the likelihood of success from Barr's Funkin move.
Richard Corbett takes his annual look back at the winners and losers in soft drink NPD last year.
Earlier this month, UK-based Fever-Tree launched an IPO, almost ten years after launching its namesake line of mixers. Richard Corbett believes both the company and its brand are firmly on the road to global success.
Bottled water appears to have been the biggest victim of the economic downturn, particularly in Western Europe. Richard Corbett takes a look at the prospects for one of the larger water players in the region, Nestlé.
The markets of Western Europe have long been the engine for soft drinks companies, generating steady returns and providing a dependable working environment. But, the global economic downturn has hit the region hard. Richard Corbett surveys the wreckage.
This month, Richard Corbett turns his attention to the potential offered to soft drinks companies by the markets of Africa.
A year on from its South American debut, The Coca-Cola Co is taking Coca-Cola Life to the west. Richard Corbett considers the new brand extension, and its prospects for success.
Never far from the headlines, Monster Beverage Corp has caught Richard Corbett's eye; be it for its near-constant presence in litigation or its healthy set of Q1 numbers earlier this month.
Earlier this month, private equity fund KPS Capital Partners committed to pay Ardagh Glass a not inconsiderable sum of money for Anchor Glass. But, will it be money well spent? Richard Corbett investigates.
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research